Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy is looking for an experienced Director who has successfully built & run DevOps & Infrastructure teams. This person will be tasked with effectively organizing our DevOps & Backend engineers around projects & deliverables.
In this role, you will motivate & inspire your team to work on interesting projects related to scalability, reliability, & security as we deliver products & features that empower our learners around the world. You will need to execute on project goals by being a technical resource to your engineers as well as actively contributing to our infrastructure. Clear communication as a Director is key as you will not only be leading your specific team but collaborating across engineering teams within the company.
What You'll Do:
- Hire & build an engineering team that is driven by the mission & vision that you champion for the team.
- Work with individual engineers to define career goals & align their ambitions with relevant projects & tasks
- Guide your team on architecting & authoring services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Improve the scalability & efficiency of our infrastructure
- Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements & automation
What You'll Need:
- 5+ years of management experience
- Previous experience hiring technical talent
- 8+ years of experience working in a DevOps, Infrastructure, Systems, or Backend focused role
- Experience with NoSQL & SQL databases; we currently use a combination of Postgres, MongoDB, & Amazon Redshift
- Experience with cloud services; we use Amazon Web Services
- Experience with containerization tools such as Docker & Kubernetes
- Previous performance management & career goal setting experience
- Previous experience working with cross functional teams
What Will Make You Stand Out:
- Teaching and/or structured tutoring experience
- Experience utilizing Codecademys Platform
- BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering
- You've played an integral part in implementing Kubernetes in a past role
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.