ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimms editorial team is a collaborative group of writers & editors from a range of media backgrounds, with a keen understanding of how to produce high-quality journalism in a voice that appeals to millennial women. The Senior Service Editor will be a crucial part of our editorial team as we build out our evergreen & trending service content across categories, bringing new & diverse audiences to theSkimm & helping our existing audience members navigate the necessity-driven areas of their lives.
We're looking for a seasoned editor who will work closely with internal writers as well as external contractors in ideating, assigning, editing, & publishing service content in the news, health, money, career, & parenting spaces, with a sharp focus on SEO.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in service journalism, a keen understanding of how to reach audiences across platforms, expert grasp of SEO best practices, a deep rolodex of service writers & expert sources, & a passion for & background in speaking to an audience of millennial women. This editor will report to our Senior Director of Editorial Operations.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Building out search-friendly service content across news, health, money, career, & parenting categories on theSkimm.com
- Working closely with section editors to develop search & service content best practices across their categories
- Developing a team of in-house & external service writers/reporters with experience working on those beats
- Working closely with growth marketing team & outside contractors on larger growth strategy & SEO best practices
- Closely monitoring & analyzing traffic data, trending keywords, & search algorithm changes to inform content strategy & drive growth
- Focusing on creating content that will bring new & diverse audiences to theSkimm
- Working closely with Editor In Chief & SVP of Content to align growth ambitions with audience engagement & brand voice
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years of experience in service journalism, with background in news, finance, wellness, & parenting spaces.
- Experience managing a team & training/developing writers & reporters
- Expert understanding of journalistic & reporting best practices
- Strong rolodex of writers & expert sources in the above categories
- Expert grasp of SEO best practices, & experience implementing them
- Firm grasp on how to use analytics to inform content assigning & packaging, with an eye towards audience growth
- A desire to reach underserved audiences & identify blank spaces in service journalism where theSkimm can make an impact
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news & makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. theSkimms product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'' & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. theSkimms first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the lifes necessity categories & expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- & the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work. While our employees are continuing to work remotely throughout the remainder of 2021, we are excited to return to HQ in New York, NY next year. Beginning in January 2022, the office will be open Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday & NY metro area employees will come together in person a minimum of 3 days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employee & they may go in as often as they'd like.
We will require vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations for any additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.