Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the worlds best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial & social returns to alumni, institutional & private investors.
This borderless & innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$600 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 190 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe & Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, AlphaCode, Goldman Sachs, M&G, Credit Suisse & Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for a sales/relationship management professional who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact & reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the worlds top universities & schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. Youll gain as much accountability as you can handle & have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international & very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in London or New York.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams & cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential & creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement & learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions & partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility & flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed & friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business & experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow & develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management & build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
You will join our international Business Development team, where you will play a lead role in identifying new markets to deliver a phenomenal product & customer experience for some of the best student bodies in the world.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Identify & source new markets for international higher education funding
- Make sense of disparate data, market sizing potential new business opportunities & sharing findings with internal teams
- Establish new relationships with leading tertiary institutions & with all new university & school campuses, representing Prodigy Finance as a new account manager
- Handle all education & onboarding of newly supported school programs. Tailor the proposition to meet the needs of the universities & be a solution provider across the various stakeholder groups
- Lead all initial communication, project management, problem solving & marketing initiatives with the admissions, international student affairs & financial aid teams at the schools & universities as appropriate
- Evangelise & market the Prodigy Finance proposition to deepen institutional relationships through events as appropriate (digital & offline), campaigns & reporting
- Monitor funding & application trends at each university, identify opportunities & differentiate Prodigy Finance from other lenders
- Evolve the product & proposition, to continually meet the needs of all stakeholders in the Prodigy Finance value chain
- Collect feedback & ideas to improve internal process & client relationships within the business development function & company as a whole
What you will be measured on
- Identification & execution of new business opportunities
- Participation of institutional partners in successful implementation
- Growing the number of top tier institutional relationships through effective partnership management
- Growth of student awareness through application volume
What you need to be great at
- Structured, highly organised, able to multi-task & project manage; can correctly prioritise multiple issues. Able to remain calm & collected under pressure
- Thriving in uncertainty & creating structure
- Optimistic, positive outlook, highly likeable, upbeat & energetic. Enjoy building rapport & trust, can foster a sense of open communication
- Strong negotiation skills & an aptitude for long-term relationship & partnership building
- High EQ; can read people, excellent listening skills, patience, motivation to understand the needs & wants of others, concerned with helping others to achieve their goals
- Strong attention to detail & analytical thinking ability
- Bias to action; create ideas, think outside the box, solve problems & find solutions, be proactive, use initiative to develop & improve
- Global citizen; interested in working with multiple cultures, thirst for learning about philosophies, social behaviours & education systems of other nationalities & countries
- Start-up DNA; resilient, gets things done, 80/20, carpe diem, adaptable to change, huge capacity for hard work in a relentlessly fast paced environment
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- Experience as a relationship manager in financial services, consulting, technology or in a relevant start-up
- 3-5 years business development experience
- Demonstrable track record of delivering a product or service in a customer led environment; delight the customer, deliver high standards of customer care & excellent customer service
- Degree qualification or equivalent & a demonstrable interest in higher education
- Willingness to travel
Experience that would be nice to have (but well trade off if everything else fits)
- Understanding of loan products; gained through personal experience of getting a loan or within a professional environment
- Start-up experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, & adapt easily as you set up processes & frameworks for us to grow into. If you havent worked in a start-up before, you need to show us that you have a real desire & potential to be successful in a young, high-growth, non-corporate company
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative & be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value & then hold yourself accountable. Encourage & celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy & fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard & find the time to play. Were in this together.
Do you want to be our next Business Development Associate? Heres what to do now:
If this sounds exciting & you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below & tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.