When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges & an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago & finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years & we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines & restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, & giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants & consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world & we do this in real time. Millions of customers & thousands of restaurants & riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And were just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at 7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking & travel to retail & communications - its clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FTs list of Europes fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, & we were the first company ever to win Deloittes UK Top 50 two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As an Algorithms Data Scientist Lead at Deliveroo, you will:
- Bring extensive industry experience to bear on helping steer teams toward the most impactful scientific work
- Be a force multiplier: mentor & support teammates who have recently left academia & are new to industry
- Care about impact, & constantly seek out the necessary conversations to ensure that you build the right algorithm at the right time.
- Bring a combination of mathematical & scientific rigor, entrepreneurial thinking, & a hunger to build intelligent machines that drive the company forward
- Translate unstructured, complex business problems into practical, powerful algorithmic solutions
- Design, execute, & analyze live experiments to test what you build
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, & designers
Some examples of the problems you might tackle in your new role:
- Solve dynamic, stochastic routing problems whose complexity is at or beyond the cutting edge of current theory
- Effectively combine routing algorithms with demand forecasting models, rider availability models, & restaurant scheduling models
- Effectively & automatically nudge riders to maximize their earnings while providing a delightful service to our customers
- Dynamically price our service
- Help customers discover great new restaurants that will delight them personally
- Target CRM & restaurant marketing campaigns to the customers that will find them most relevant
Deliveroo is a data-driven organization: The algorithms you develop will be A/B tested quickly & rigorously & you will have direct, measurable impact to the bottom line.
- Significant industry experience since the completion of your academic career (~5+ years).
- Masters degree or PhD (PhD preferred) in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Econometrics, or other quantitative field.
- Proven track record of building effective algorithms at industry scale.
- Extensive experience with regression & classification modeling in a prediction/control setting, & strong grasp of the associated concepts.
- Experience with integer optimization, time series modeling, recommender systems, & experiment design are all useful.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, were always looking for new ideas & were very transparent about the decisions we make & why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer & plenty more we havent even encountered. How do data & technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - & there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth & personal impact is enormous.
Benefits & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business & we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away & relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners & because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed & able to share in the companys success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in & how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food & a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.