Managing Editor, Newsroom Operations
BuzzFeed is looking for an organized, enthusiastic & news-minded managing editor to run the operations behind BuzzFeed News. You are a detail-oriented team player who lights up at the challenge of turning nascent ideas into workable plans & then executing on those plans someone who is comfortable simultaneously managing multiple projects that have crossover with different parts of the company, each with radically different timelines & stakeholders. Logistics make up a big part of this job, but so does emotional intelligence. You are someone who is both stunningly good at getting things done & stunningly diplomatic in doing so.
You should have at least 5 years of experience in operations management, plus experience managing budgets & people. Although this is a job within a newsroom, it is not required that you come in with journalism experience -- as long as they bring a genuine passion about the societal importance of reporting & journalism.
You will be based in the New York office & report to the Executive Editor, Strategy. You will also work closely with the Editor-in-Chief, deputy editor-in-chief, & other senior news editors. We offer great compensation package & stock option program.
- Oversee budgeting for the newsroom, in close collaboration with senior managers & finance
- Be a gatekeeper for all newsroom contracts for freelancers & consultants
- Help conceive & execute a membership strategy
- Provide on-site operations & planning for large events like the 2020 political conventions & Olympics
- Be the main newsroom point person between the newsroom & several other parts of the organization: facilities, IT, licensing, product/tech, legal, HR
- Coordinate with outside vendors to set up newsroom trainings
- Manage & approve valuable newsroom resources like subscriptions & reporting tools
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- 5+ years of experience in an operational role, ideally at a news or media organization
- Willingness to take on night & weekend work when needed
- Attention to detail & ability to manage multiple complex projects
- Your rsum & cover letter that explains why you're the right person for the job
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment & celebrates inclusion in all circumstances.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media & tech company delivering news & entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world & more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, & more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, & hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, youll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools & create content that helps connect people all over the world.