Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
We brought together leaders from top technology, service, healthcare, & insurance companies to work side by side to disrupt health insurance. The result? Better people, better ideas, & better healthcare.
As a Senior Actuarial Manager, you will join our Actuarial team & work directly with other actuaries, data scientists, insurance & tech professionals. You will own pieces of the actuarial work that enables our innovative model to succeed as we grow. We understand & value technology, so this can become a powerful part of your tool kit.
- Lead the development of monthly valuations for Oscars core books of business.
- Execute valuations timely & ensure optimal quality & consistency of information reported.
- Provide an effective level of visibility into financial results to support analysis, reporting, & business outcomes.
- Own & enhance valuation methodologies & processes.
- Continuously improve valuation models to incorporate the latest data & actuarial & statistical approaches.
- Ensure processes & underlying infrastructure are scalable to support future growth needs.
- Responsible for internal & external facing actuarial reporting & control requirements.
- Assist in the development & filing of Statement of Actuarial Opinions & associated Memoranda
- Ensure development of robust controls to support financial & regulatory audits & Model Audit Rule
- Assist in building out insurance risk management.
- Work closely with Enterprise Risk Management & key internal stakeholders to build & enhance insurance (underwriting & reserving) risk assessment, monitor changes to the risk profile, risk analytics, & understand key drivers
- Develop reinsurance analytics & modeling capabilities to foster effective insurance risk & capital decisions
- Ability to solve issues with a sense of urgency
- You're a Fellow in the Society of Actuaries or Casualty Actuary Society
- You have 10+ years of relevant actuarial experience & a valuation background within the insurance industry.
- You have a comprehensive knowledge of actuarial principles, the Affordable Care Act, & financial & regulatory reporting requirements
- Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity to drive to outcomes, work with large datasets & distill analyses into actionable business insights
- Collaborative attitude to work in highly cross-functional organizations
- Experience in SQL or Python is a plus
- You have a preference for working in a dynamic startup environment where each day offers new challenges
Life at Oscar:
- At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
- We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
- Reasonable Accommodation:
- Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
- Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.