Help Flexport fix the user experience in global trade!
The role of the Supply Chain Operations Manager is a critical part of making Flexports mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries.
In this role, your direct customers are the partners within your region: our client solutions & customs teams, subcontractors, carriers, terminals & trucking providers. Your work directly supports Flexports end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to hire, train, & develop a team of motivated operations experts while strategically leading them through the complex world of freight forwarding. You will work cross-functionally to navigate ambiguous challenges & establish a world-class operating team. At this stage in Flexport's journey, we understand that great leadership is what will help us achieve our goal. We also understand that great leaders have to learn how to balance tactical & adaptive responsibilities. A leader who is too tactical could hinder the creativity & motivation of their teams. A leader who is too adaptive could create a lot of wasted time & effort, which could also squelch the motivation of their teams. Your job as a leader is to create balance for those you manage to execute efficiently & think strategically about continuous improvement.
As a supply chain leader, you are an expert in executing the end-to-end movement of shipments within a regional network including Ocean or Air & LCL imports & exports.
- You will hire, coach & develop an 8-10 person team responsible for the end-to-end movement of consolidated freight or ocean freight shipments within a regional network (both imports & exports), including intermodal movements.
- You will personally represent Flexports value proposition by recommending supply chain solutions for new clients & opportunities to the account management team.
- You will guard the front line in ensuring the highest standard of Flexport quality: the right processes & metrics are in place for shipments to move on-time & exceptions resolved quickly & appropriately. You will be responsible for meeting internal KPIs & SLAs that demonstrate quality delivery.
- You will design scalable operational infrastructure & procedures to ensure your team is delivering the highest levels of efficiency & productivity for your customers. If they are not, you will look for opportunities to improve them.
- As an Ocean team leader you will:
- Serve as the primary relationship manager for internal & external partners in your region such as ocean, intermodal & drayage vendors, the Customs team & the Network Operations team. You will be the primary point of contact for second-level internal & external escalations.
- You will work with gateway & global management to ensure the right metrics & data are in place to empower your regional team to deliver great performance.
- You will be responsible for monitoring & improving overall cost-to-serve while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
- You will help design & implement operational infrastructure & procedures in the team you oversee while constantly identifying & executing on opportunities to realize optimal efficiency & productivity.
- You will empower your team to prioritize & align on key initiatives, experiment with the best ways to drive growth & maintain high on-the-job motivation.
- You will be an active student, learning the skills of leadership which Flexport will strive to apprentice.
- You will work with Account Management to design & iterate on effective feedback loops to ensure client needs are met.
- You will act as a strategic consultant to your global counterparts, product & engineering & the operations excellence team on ocean supply chain operations & your regional gateway ocean or network operations strategy.
You should have:
- BA/BS degree
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in logistics, freight forwarding, supply chain, ocean carrier operations, or consulting (ocean freight knowledge is a plus)
- Hands-on, structured thinking with strong problem-solving skills
- A strong leadership background with 2+ years of people management experience
- Strong business acumen
- Bonus points for product development understanding
- Client service mindset - obsessed with client & squad happiness
- The desire to lead, train & develop up & coming industry talent
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic & reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
Why join Flexport?
Investing your time with Flexport means keeping pace with a rapidly growing business, learning new skills, & seeking opportunities to think from end to end. We appreciate your contributions to making Flexport an amazing place to work & we encourage upwards or lateral movement & transfers that align with current business needs & help Flexport deliver on its mission & unlock the potential in our team members.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.