Were looking for a temporary Commerce Writer to join Thrillist within Group Nine Media! As a member of the Editorial team, youll report to the Editorial Director of Commerce. Youll help brainstorm, research, & write fresh commerce-oriented stories, & deliver fun, engaging, & serviceable content to our audience.
The perfect candidate will have experience writing commerce-oriented content, be familiar with & curious about core Thrillist coverage categories like food, drink, & travel, & possess the ability to develop whip-smart ideas into engaging, shoppable stories. You will also be comfortable working in a dynamic environment with tight deadlines & ambitious output & other KPI goals.
What youll do:
- Research, curate, write, & build multiple stories per day, frequently interviewing expert sources to add authority to our recommendations, all while nailing the Thrillist voice & tone
- Research, brainstorm, & pitch new stories for a variety of formats, using consumer trends & audience data to inform ideas
- Collaborate & assist Commerce editors on larger projects when needed
- Work closely with the art department to ensure every story is visually supported & packaged appropriately
Success will look like:
- This role requires strong organizational skills & the ability to seamlessly shift priorities when necessary
- Staying on deadline while juggling multiple stories at various stages of completion
- Communicating with other editorial teams to identify & pursue opportunities for cross-collaboration
- A knack for identifying & tracking down the perfect source or expert for any story
- At least two years digital media writing experience, ideally in a commerce-oriented capacity; Bachelors degree preferred
- Exceptional writing, copyediting, & fact-checking skills
- A familiarity with SEO best practices
- A genuine curiosity for most if not all of Thrillists core coverage areas (Food, Drink, Travel, Adventure, & beyond)
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink & travel brand for Gen Z & Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences & long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world & celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR & Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.