Manager, Technical Program Management - Engineering (New York, NY; remote options)
At Squarespace, we empower people with creative ideas to succeed. That means delivering beautiful software products to our customers. Technical Program Managers (TPMs) contribute to that mission by making shipping software easier & more predictable.
We're looking for a manager to lead our Infrastructure & Security/Compliance TPM team. You'll work closely with your direct reports & peer managers, as well as leaders across Engineering & Product to ensure your team delivers excellent work.
This organization encompasses four major components:
- Incident Management & Response
- Governance, Risk & Compliance
This role reports to the Director of TPM.
We have introduced our Flexible Work Philosophy for Squarespace employees, which you can find on our career page. For those who will work out of our offices 1-5 days a week, we have also introduced a detailed return to office approach to guarantee a safe return for our Squarespace employees. The safety of our people is our top priority & we will continue to monitor the status of COVID19..
You'll Get To...
- Lead a team of 4 TPMs responsible for planning & delivering projects
- Manage career progression for your direct reports
- Guide your direct reports on high-priority projects, using coaching & directive techniques
- Identify & grow the next generation of TPM leaders at Squarespace
- Manage compensation to ensure employee retention, equity among your team, & competitiveness within the industry
- Develop & maintain strong working relationships with key stakeholders across Engineering, & Product to plan & identify project opportunities, staffing needs, & assess individual contributors' performance
- Work closely with the TPM Director & other TPM managers to anticipate & solve organizational challenges (e.g. staffing allocations, interview process improvements, hiring challenges)
- Hire additional TPMs as needed
Who we're looking for
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of TPMs or related role
- 7+ years related experience in technical program management or similar function
- Proficient knowledge of on-prem & cloud infrastructure
- A passion for leading & developing others
- A strong commitment to fostering a culture that values diversity, inclusion, collaboration, & trust
- Experience managing compensation, using & improving career levels, recruiting, & hiring
- Comfort navigating ambiguous, complex, evolving environments
- A focus on impact: achieving outcomes, not just getting work done
- Audience-centric, effective, & impeccable verbal & writing skills
- Familiarity with project management tooling & agile methodologies
- Ability to work in a distributed & flexible work environment
In your first three months, you'll
- Get to know your direct reports & the projects, tools & teams they work with
- Understand Squarespace's goals & strategy
- Build relationships with Engineering & Product directors & managers, & understand their needs & priorities
- Take on management responsibilities, such as recruiting & performance management
- Set long-term development goals with your direct reports
- Review & improve the TPM staffing plans
- Begin drafting your career development plan with your manager
- Work closely with your manager & TPM/TW peer managers in weekly syncs & on leadership projects
Working as a TPM Manager at Squarespace
TPMs at Squarespace work collaboratively, are candid yet kind, & leave their egos at the door. We treat processes & tools not as ends, but as means to reach business goals & empower our customers. We lift each other up & provide equal opportunities for growth.
TPMs at Squarespace also have the option to contribute to Squarespace culture in ways meaningful to them, for example, joining or leading Employee Resource Groups, planning or attending (currently virtual) team events, & joining game nights.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world's most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespace's team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles, & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Headspace mindfulness app subscription
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Education reimbursement
- Employee donation match to community organizations
- 7 Employee Resource Groups across locations
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Free lunch & snacks
- Private rooftop
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Thank you to our friends at Awaken for inspiring the structure of this job description.