Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Director of Communications to join our Communications team.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
The Director of Communications oversees Oscars earned & owned communications activities, consumer-focused earned communications, financial communications & corporate communications serving as the team expert on communications strategies that drive earned press coverage with priority national & local consumer outlets.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for crafting & executing a holistic & dynamic earned media & communications strategy that will optimally position the company with key audiences & partners, & serve as a catalyst for continued growth in category awareness, brand love, & business growth. This role is part of the team responsible for Oscars media relationships keeping key journalists up-to-date on our latest news & campaigns, proactively identifying opportunities to highlight Oscar in relevant stories, & managing responses to inbound press inquiries to increase visibility, share of voice, & positive sentiment for Oscar as a company, our Leadership Team, & our innovative offerings & perspectives.
The Director of Communications will be expected to work closely with leaders within the marketing organization, & responsible for working downstream with functional experts to ensure execution of earned communications is consistent, effective, on-brand, & compliant across owned/earned/paid media campaigns, community activations, & sales enablement.
- Partner closely with senior executives, business leaders, marketing & members of the Communications team to develop comprehensive communications programs.
- Provide counsel to business leaders & other internal partners related to strategic business positioning & issues management.
- Develop & maintain strong working relationships with industry stakeholders, with particular focus on business/health & trade media across channels (print, broadcast & social).
- Partner with the Investor Relations teams on financial communications.
- Support executive speaking opportunities, including speech writing.
- Lead a growing team of communicators supporting our growth areas.
- Create media plans that incorporate how Oscar will leverage owned, social, & paid content to amplify reach; executing on those plans through project management, content creation, pitching, coordinating with press outlets, & staffing briefings.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders across Marketing, Communications, & the larger organization to support your earned media strategies, unearth new story ideas, elevate the communications team, & embed the team alongside core operations.
- 10+ years of experience in PR & communications working for a strategic communications agency or in a similar role inside a company.
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of communicators.
- Experience working with an extensive list of strong media contacts at outlets that are core to Oscars earned media strategy with reporters, who will always answer your call.
- Experience managing multiple time-sensitive projects at once, including for C-suite-level executives.
- Experience working in the healthcare industry, with an understanding of payor, provider, & patient dynamics.
- Experience working for a high-growth company.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.