BARK is a company building products, experiences, & entertainment for dogs & the people who love them. The lasting brand that Disney has built for kids & families, BARK is building for the fast-growing market of dog people.
Our ambition-level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 50 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make dogs happier.
But what kind of company is BARK? It's a company that has gone to the dogs. We are committed to a culture that is open, inclusive, generous, & enthusiastic just like our pups. United by this dog-obsession, we embrace diversity of all stripes & spots. If your camera roll is 90% pictures of your dog, you belong here.
At BARK, we know that dogs aren't pets; they're family. Our people crazy dog people believe that their dogs deserve the best. The best treats, the best toys, the best seat on the couch. Together, we're driven to be the people our dogs think we are.
WHO WE'RE SNIFFIN' FOR:
As a Data Science Engineer at BARK, you will be writing code that runs in our production data systems, precisely extracts meaning & value from our nuanced sets of data, & solves business & product challenges using modern technologies & methodologies. You will be working with a strong team of data professionals who will continually challenge, guide, & teach you. However, we will often be relying on you to overcome technical obstacles independently.
- Contribute to ongoing Machine Learning, Data Engineering, & Data Science projects
- Engineer novel features that accurately describe & predict profitability outcomes
- Interpret data, identify issues & complexities, translate nuances to useful code, & report key findings to inform the direction of projects
- Apply best practices to improve performance of code & machine learning models
- 2+ years' experience writing readable, modular Python code to handle varied & complex data
- 2+ years experience writing SQL; Redshift or Postgres preferred
- Moderate grasp of bash / Linux
- Proficient in using Git to collaborate with other engineers
- Excellent data manipulation skills from multiple data sources
- Demonstrated aptitude for picking up new technologies
- Sharp analytical mind with attention to detail & nuance
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Machine Learning concepts, applications, & libraries, particularly recommender systems, NLP, classification & clustering techniques
- Creative problem solver who focuses on improving business & product
- Startup experience at an internet-based company
- Entrepreneurial attitude - self-starter
- Love of dogs
- Experience working in Airflow
- Experience with containerization (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Experience with Tensorflow
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located on-site at our office in New York, NY. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, unlimited PTO & a dog to pet anytime you wish.