Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Crimetown, Homecoming, & The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, & business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other & the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, & kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, & a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, & supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, & who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Mogul brings listeners the stories behind hip hops most iconic moments, told by the people who lived them. It features in-depth reporting & rich, layered sound design. The New Yorker called Mogul essential listening & Entertainment Weekly described it as a fascinating examination of the hip-hop industry & the culture of fame, masculinity, & violence that lie at the genres center. In Season 1, Mogul investigated the life & death of legendary hip hop executive Chris Lighty. Season 2 centered on 2 Live Crew, their fight for freedom of speech, & their complicated legacy. The team is now working to develop future seasons.
Editor is sometimes used to refer to a person who cuts tapethats not the case at Gimlet. An editor here is the person who helps each story finds its shape, who guides a production team from the initial idea to the final, polished audio piece.
A Gimlet editor is an experienced storyteller, capable of leading teams to craft stories that are engaging, surprising, & emotionally satisfying. They think deeply about narrative structure. They believe in the power of audio to open people up or change their minds, & they know that kind of project takes tremendous effort & constant revision. They are critical of the work but encouraging & supportive of their teams. They dont just point out the problems, they stick around to fix them.
Were looking for an editor who has experience in journalism, a strong appreciation of what Mogul does, & an ambitious vision for what the show can do. This is a leadership position, & were looking for someone who finds enormous satisfaction in growing & nurturing a team, & in shaping & editing exceptional stories.
Gimlet editors generally work on two or more shows. In this role, we are looking for an editor who will work consistently with the Mogul team, & will also have the potential to edit additional Gimlet shows.
What Youll Do
- Guide the show toward ambitious storytelling, helping the team refine big ideas & pushing for the best possible finished product
- Run editorial meetings, facilitating conversation between all members of the team
- Take the lead in developing & refining the narrative structure of each episode
- Identify what is working in each story & what needs to be restructured or reimagined
- Write collaboratively with producers & hosts to get scripts from draft to final language
- Work closely with producers to develop pitches for future episodes & seasons
- Coach producers to develop new skills & help them advance in their audio careers
- Be a talent magnet, helping us build our team of talented producers, reporters, & other editors
- Work with other editorial leaders to shape the long-term strategy & vision of Gimlet on everything from talent development to pioneering new storytelling formats
What You Have
- 5+ years of journalism or documentary experience; audio experience is a major plus
- 2+ years of experience in an editor role
- A familiarity with, & appreciation for, hip hop
- Comfort & proficiency in structuring & editing narrative pieces
- A proven knack for managing, mentoring, & helping others develop in their careers
- Excellent writing skills
- Exceptional communication skills, across the board
- An ability to jump between projects & contribute meaningful guidance, no matter the context
- A strong vision for what makes exceptional, ambitious stories sing
This is a full-time role, based in our Brooklyn, NY offices.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for this opening. We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, & background will lead to a better environment for our employees & a better product for our users & our creators. This is something we value deeply & we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to audio.