ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
Were looking for an experienced data engineer & mentor to join theSkimm's Tech team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial & Audio to Marketing & Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems & processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, & learn quickly so we can take best advantage of whats coming.
As we grow, we're looking for a Senior Data Engineer wholl help solidify & expand our data reporting & analysis pipelines. Our business is run on detailed analysis of how our products perform with our members, which features they love & which can be improved, & which product & marketing campaigns are bringing in the best quality users. You'll be responsible for working alongside product, design, & other teams to define new data collection components & measurement schemes that support each new product & feature.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 4-6+ years of industry experience measuring product performance & user behavior
- Experience working with a variety of data management technologies, including RedShift, Kinesis/Kafka, Glue, Spark, Postgres, Airflow, dbt, & others.
- Experience supporting & implementing reporting tools such as Looker & Tableau
- Knowledge of a variety of measurement beacons & SDKs, including Google Analytics, Localytics, Moat, ComScore, & Heap
- A commitment to building secure, resilient, fault-tolerant architectures, with clear documentation & procedures in place for support
- A focus on accuracy & detail as you build, ensuring data pipelines produce clear, predictable results
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, & high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting & discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- An empathetic leadership style that encourages open communication & trust
- Experience guiding engineers on your team to learn more & expand their skills
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Web programming experience, especially in React, Node, & Rails
- Experience with Google Tag Manager & other measurement management tools
- Understanding of the typical metrics an advertising-supported business needs to measure success
- Experience with ML techniques as applied to behavioral segmentation or anomaly identification
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity & facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, Travis, Jenkins)
- A history of leading & guiding high-performing technical teams
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience & mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning & fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals & drinks during our weekly "Sipn Skimm" all-hands meeting & twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, & a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY