Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. We offer commission-free investing in stocks, ETFs, options, & cryptocurrencies. Robinhood Financial, our broker-dealer, is a fast-growing brokerage with millions of users & billions of dollars in transaction volume. Robinhood has received the Apple Design Award (2015), the Google Play Award for Best Use of Material Design (2016), & was named Fast Companys 11th Most Innovative Company in the world (2016). Were backed with $539 million in capital from top-tier investors such as DST Global, NEA, Index Ventures, Thrive Capital, Sequoia, & KPCB, & were most recently valued at $5.6 billion. Robinhood is based in Menlo Park, California, & Lake Mary, Florida.
About the role
Robinhoods legal department is looking for an attorney with legal experience in a financial services context who is excited to work at the intersection of technology & finance. Your advice & creativity will help shape the legal, product, & technology strategy for one of the fastest growing fintech companies.
Joining our small legal team requires an autodidactic mindset as you tackle legal problems from a variety of legal disciplines: securities law, financial services regulation, contract law, immigration, IP, employment, etc.
In this role you will:
- Advise, product, engineering, IT, business development, marketing, & other teams on a full range of issues related to product development & commercialization, including compliance with laws & regulations on privacy, data security, marketing, safety, consumer protection, risk management, & partner relations
- Draft, review, update, & negotiate foundational documents for product & service offerings (e.g., terms of service, privacy policies, & service change notifications)
- Build processes to improve the companys operating efficiency & mitigate legal risk
- Research a range of novel legal questions & distill findings to advise internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with in-house & outside counsel to research complex legal & regulatory issues
- Partner with outside counsel with an eye toward driving business goals while effectively managing time & cost
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- Member of a US State Bar, preferably in CA
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 3+ years of legal practice, with some experience at a top tier law firm
- Experience advising clients/teams on legal issues related to product development
Some things that would be amazing to have for this role:
- Experience in the financial services industry or representing financial services clients, in an in-house capacity
- Experience developing compliance programs & advising accordingly
- Experience with data privacy regulations
- Experience with joint development agreements & partnerships
Note to Recruiters & Placement Agencies: Robinhood does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Robinhood does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.