About the right team member:
You are an outstanding attorney looking to join a groundbreaking startup that is making investing smarter, easier, & more accessible for everyone. You are a problem solver with excellent legal judgment & outstanding attention to detail. You are mission-driven, business-oriented, independent, & quick to learn. You can communicate clearly & persuasively to a wide variety of audiences. You can thrive in a dynamic, technology-driven environment & are comfortable taking action in the face of ambiguity. You are eager to make an impact & are always seeking new & improved ways of doing things.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Work closely with product, engineering, & our lines of business to navigate regulatory & compliance requirements, operational issues, & related matters
- Manage interactions with FINRA, the SEC, & other regulatory bodies
- Assist with the development of new lines of business & products, including drafting customer agreements, disclosures, & related documentation
- Help to resolve & avoid potential disputes
- Analyze & provide guidance to the company on evolving rules, regulations, & trends impacting the financial services industry
- Negotiate complex commercial agreements
- Collaborate with outside counsel when necessary
You will be effective if you have:
- A JD, admission to a state bar, & at least 4 years of relevant in-house or firm experience
- An adaptable mindset & innate curiosity
- A bias toward action & solving problems, not just issue spotting
- The ability to take ownership over your work & manage projects independently
- Excellent writing ability
- Comfort navigating complexity & creating simplicity where possible
- Passion for Betterments product & mission
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in retail financial services
- In-house experience at a startup or high growth company
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $16 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 400,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws.We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.