You will support the Executive Editor by focusing on culture topics & cultural reporting, including LGBTQ, books & pop culture. In addition to managing writers/reporters, you will acquire & edit pieces by freelance writers, as well as directly manage writers/reporters on staff.
Guide overall subject area coverage for a desk of 3-6 reporters, editors & writers/freelance writers; assign stories, making both content & management decisions; track story successes & misfires; manage editorial calendars & package planning; work with other desks in the newsroom on complex stories; stay on top of traffic & story promotion; manage social accounts for the desk; plan award submissions; recruit; write; work with people team on management matters; represent the Culture desk & company in public forums; report into & support Executive Editor, Culture in long-term projects & goal-setting.
- 4+ years of editing experience. An understanding of how to identify writers & subjects that can break through on the internet & help improve audience engagement, along with a seemingly peerless familiarity with both ongoing & oft-ignored conversations about identity, entertainment, books & culture. Excellent at top & line-editing different modes of literary writing & reporting, dynamic interest in contemporary fiction, nonfiction & poetry, able to manage projects with a number of moving parts while also motivating/driving a team of writers/editors to meet their own goals. Managing spreadsheets (can maintain complex spreadsheets) with freelance budgets & calendars for both staff & freelance writers. A desire to develop new writers/reporters as well as challenging experienced writers/reporters to reach new heights, helping writers/reporters with sourcing, while also being passionate about beating the competition.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.