As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vulture is seeking a Senior Editor to join their editorial team. A survey of Americas cultural landscape offering coverage of film, television, art & more, Vulture is the go-to entertainment news site for the culturally obsessed. The Senior Editor will:
Coordinate the Culture Pages in New York magazine:
- Manage & close the culture pages, a section of approximately 4-5 stories & sidebars every 2 weeks, meant to reflect & determine the people/ideas/trends defining the moment
- Work with culture pages editor & other Vulture editors to plan stories
- Conceptualize & assign long-lead stories, big features, & packages
- Strong knowledge of some combination of tv, music, movies, comedy, books, podcasts, & how culture is manifesting in different ways online
- Must be someone who can see the shape of a story, turn copy around quickly, & knows how to write a punchy headline
- Excited by the prospect of packaging stories for a magazine
- Prepared to talent wrangle & work regularly with publicists
Plan & edit features for Vulture across all its channels:
- Participate in brainstorms & planning conversations with the Vulture team
- Work with subject editors on long-lead feature planning, editing, & scheduling
- Be open to doing the sort of all-hands-on-deck work that often arises say, leading up to the Oscars, or running one of our theme weeks.
- This person will be assigned a small number of writers to manage & help develop
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.