THIS IS BLUE APRON
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, & for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of food enthusiasts are inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity & passion always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, & put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers lives, cooking & creating experiences in their home kitchens.
WHOS IN THE KITCHEN
The Blue Apron Category Management Team diligently & passionately identifies, evaluates, and
sources the highest quality ingredients & packaging materials included in our recipes, in order to provide our customers with an amazing cooking experience, & ultimately, a delicious meal. The ongoing development of strong partnerships with our teammates & suppliers is our core recipe for success, as we constantly seek out new, innovative solutions that will allow us to offer our customers more value in every Blue Apron meal kit they receive.
Were looking for a Purchasing Manager to purchase & secure all meat & seafood items determined by the recipe specifications & in accordance with the internal production schedule. This position reports to the Director of Procurement & Sustainability, Meat & Seafood & may be located in one of Blue Aprons two Fulfillment Centers (Linden, NJ / Richmond, CA).
WHAT'S ON THE MENU
- Purchase & maintain optimum levels of inventory to fulfill production of outbound recipe kits.
- Minimize purchasing overages utilizing yields & subscription forecasts.
- Maintain recipe food costs to stay within weekly recipe budget.
- Resolve problems related to invoicing, product quality, and/or delivery.
- In coordination with internal sourcing initiatives, maintain national vendor programs & relationships.
- Oversee receiving of product in accordance with company receiving procedures.
- In coordination with Quality Control, ensure incoming product meets or exceeds the recipes quality specifications.
- Ensure accurate, up-to-date item information within the database. Enter new products & price changes promptly & accurately into a purchase order system.
- Minimize shrinkage/spoilage of perishable products. Monitor waste & obtain credit from suppliers where applicable for returned, damaged, or spoiled goods. Coordinate storage of items to be returned to suppliers.
- Participate in periodic inventory counts. Conduct inventories as requested by management.
- Attend weekly company meetings & review food cost summaries with the team.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in related field.
- Minimum 3 years of purchasing experience.
- Food buying experience.
- Established relationships with Meat & Seafood farmers, manufacturers, processors & cold storage facilities.
- Strong vendor base for specialty items.
- Highly analytical mindset must be numbers focused. Should be able to look at a number & quickly assess it for accuracy.
- Communication skills must have good listening skills in addition to excellent verbal & written communication abilities.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Capacity to multitask & to meet multiple demands coming from both the production facility & the corporate headquarters.
- Ability to self-motivate & problem solve in a fast paced setting filled with hard deadlines.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Willingness to learn & grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state & local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms & conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation & training.