Group Nine Media is looking for a Software Engineer to join our 9Studio pod. This individual is a self-starting, organized & dynamic person who is passionate about the Group Nine Media brands & working with modern web technologies to build performant, feature-rich, & user-friendly web applications. As a member of the team, you will be working on modern & beautifully curated branded web experiences that push the limits of modern browsers. You will be collaborating & brainstorming with our product & design teams to prototype fresh & innovative experiences that our sales team can bring to market. A prime candidate will enjoy leveraging & contributing to a team-maintained reusable component library to rapidly develop new ways to reach our users, as well as working with third party APIs to create rich & interactive products.
As an Engineer who will help establish Group Nine Media as a leader in the media industry, in a typical week you will:
- Make contributions to Group Nine Media's brand-agnostic, modern, & scalable web platform built with Next.js
- Participate in Agile Scrum ceremonies - Daily Stand-ups, Reviews, & Retrospectives
- Meet with fellow team members during Study Halls where we encourage sharing new ideas, brainstorming & problem-solving together
- Utilize modern technologies & tools to focus on delivering valuable products & rich user experiences - not maintaining a legacy architecture
- Work with great people while learning something new & awesome every day!
Technologies That We Use & Love:
- Next.js, React (Server-side Rendered), Node.js
- Styled Components, Jest
- Figma, Sketch, Invision, Design System Manager
- Flamelink, Firebase, Cloud Firestore
- Google Cloud Platform, AWS
- Google Analytics
- React Native
- You have at least 2 years of experience on an engineering team
- Experience with React Native, Google Ad Manager, and/or JWPlayer is a plus but not required
Qualities of an Ideal Candidate:
- You thrive in a diverse workplace where knowledge-sharing & professional development is an important part of our culture
- You possess a genuine curiosity for understanding how things work
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are genuinely interested in building applications that scale with the business
- You are an independent, self-starter who sees each new project as an exciting challenge
- You are an advocate for clean, concise code & internal documentation
- You keep performance, optimization & speed top-of-mind when developing new features
- You can prioritize your work & understand business priorities
- You have the intuition to break large problems into smaller ones
- You collaborate with design & product team members to find innovative, creative & technically-sound ways to tell stories
Cover letter not required but it might help set you apart from other candidates. We promise that we will read them!
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.