Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Science Vs, Heavyweight & The Nod. At Gimlet, we aim to create a world more full of human connection & understanding through audio storytelling & journalism. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, & kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, & a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, & supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, & who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. Were proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
This role is for an experienced science journalist & audio producer. Were looking for someone who can find compelling & unexpected stories & characters in big, complicated ideas. This producer should have a journalism background & bring curiosity, creativity & humor to the show. Were also looking for someone who strives to learn everything there is to know about a particular topic before coming up with a take. This show will tell ambitious stories weekly, & therefore the right candidate has experience in & thrives under tight deadlines. The day-to-day of the role involves pre-interviewing guests & arranging interviews, cutting multiple tracks of tape, writing explanatory & fun scripts, structuring stories into a clear narrative, & finding compelling ways to tell stories.
What Youll Do:
- Pitch stories
- Work closely with hosts, including pitching interviews & stories for hosts to execute & writing scripts in their voice
- Brainstorm new segment & episode ideas
- Find, pre-interview, & book guests
- Arrange for studio recordings & tape syncs
- Write scripts
- Cut tape, assemble mixes & score episodes
- Direct & cut tracking
- Help grow & maintain the shows social media presence
- Help out with basic show tasks, including posting the episodes to our CMS
What You Bring:
- A minimum of four years of experience producing audio for radio or podcast
- A journalism background, science journalism preferred
- An ability to listen to raw tape & identify the perfect details, the need-to-know plot points, & the need-to-hear moments that make a story
- Experience scripting audio stories
- Dedication to facts & fact checking plus an extreme attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively on a team
- A collaborative approach to work - which means enthusiasm for feedback from team members on your work & the desire & ability to incorporate & execute on that feedback
- Proficiency in field recording
- Ability to create & assemble ProTools sessions
- Self-direction & an eye for details
- Organization:This means everything from timely bookings & keeping the calendar, to keeping Protools sessions organized to factchecking
This is afull-time, benefits-eligible rolebased in ourBrooklyn, NYoffices. ** Union role with the WGA East.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, & background will lead to a better environment for our employees & a better product for our users & our creators. This is something we value deeply & we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to audio.