Hachette Book Group is seeking an energetic mystery/thriller Editor to edit up to 10 books a year. Candidate should be interested in working with high-profile author geared towards a commercial audience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide excellent care to HBG’s #1 house author.
- Identify & pursue potential project ideas & collaborative partners as directed by author.
- Make presentations as needed for sales conferences & other company meetings.
- Creative: Editor will provide editorial letters & line edits; participate in titling & cover design process; write fact sheets, cover, & catalog copy; create metadata.
- Schedule Management: Editor will execute on-time preparation of suggested revisions from outline to final draft; work with the JP team & key departments to make sure each book meets prepublication milestones.
- Interdepartmental coordination: To support editorial projects & initiatives, Editor will maintain communications & relationships with all key departments, including Managing Editorial, Production, Design, Legal, Sales, Marketing, Subsidiary Rights, Finance, Publicity, & UK & paperback partners.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 3-5 years’ experience in trade book publishing.
- Proven editorial skills in shaping crime, mystery, & thriller manuscripts, including fiction & true crime.
- In-depth knowledge of the retail landscape—trade, mass merchants, warehouse clubs, online.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, & communication—verbal & written--skills.
- Experience working with a Digital Asset Management system a plus.
- Proven ability to build supportive & constructive relationships within & outside of the organization
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize & manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.