Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
The Codecademy team is looking for a Director of Brand Marketing to join our rapidly growing, fun & effective Marketing team. As the leader of Brand Marketing, you will be responsible for communicating our brand to everyone, everywhere. The north star for this function is to elevate awareness & brand sentiment, increase consideration of our products across all aspects of our business - both B2C & B2B.
As the leader of an important function, you will develop & execute strategic plans to deliver on the north star, develop relationships with external partners & key stakeholders across the company to gain support for your work. As a people manager, you will be responsible for motivating & developing a team.
The ideal candidate has a big imagination & the experience to transform dreams into reality, an endless supply of enthusiasm & drive, a stellar communicator, & an innate understanding & empathy for customers. Put simply you are someone who simply makes big things happen.
This position will report to The VP (head of) Marketing.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Inform our strategic vision & plan for the company to illuminate what our Brand & Business could be
- Grow our potential customer base & total addressable market (TAM)
- Drive revenue via heightened brand awareness & consideration (top of funnel)
- Develop & execute quarterly brand marketing plans inspired by the vision & deeply connected to our strategy - great plans will be equally aspirational & pragmatic; they should be executable within the confines of our resources
- Develop ongoing brand marketing programs & partnerships, as well as temporary campaigns, with the former being most important
- Manage & mentor direct reports in Public Relations/Comms & Content Marketing (note: content marketing includes our Codecademy blog, organic social pages, & partnerships)
- Partner with other functions within Marketing, such as: Product Marketing, Marketing Analytics, CRM, Paid Marketing & Marketing Creative
- Partner with other internal functions beyond Marketing, such as: Curriculum, Product, Customer Support, Community, Design, Finance, Data Science, HR, & more
- Develop relationships with other brands, members of the press & influencer community, & other relevant organizations on the basis of mutually beneficial partnerships to deliver on our brand marketing objectives
- Work collaboratively with all partners to devise & execute ongoing launches & collaborations, across multiple channels, to bring the strategy to life
- Align brand messaging & content to target audiences & customer segments to drive our business objectives
- Conduct user research & rely on data to evaluate performance & develop insight driven recommendations
- Evolve our Codecademy brand; leveraging our mission, vision & brand pillars to shape brand position & sentiment
- Realize the ability to leverage effective content by partnering closely with Marketing Creative & external agencies
- Manage & drive customer experience/editorial calendar.
- Understand & communicate relevant societal & customer trends, maintain a pulse on the competitive landscape to elevate our marketing storytelling, realizing best practices that improve impact over time
- Set targets & measure the efficacy & efficiency of the work; working with Finance, Data Science & Marketing analytics
WHAT YOULL NEED:
- A track record of effective, scalable brand programs & partnerships
- 10+ years marketing experience, at least 4 years dedicated brand marketing & experience working with growing brands (Tech, Subscription, & SAAS experience is a plus)
- Experience architecting & managing meaningful brand partnerships
- Experience leading, inspiring & developing a team
- Outstanding brand sensibilities & the ability to communicate them
- A knack for storytelling, compatible with the way people consume content today
- An ability to combine the power of ideas with the realities of the business world
- Enthusiastic team player with the flexibility to re-prioritize, multi-task & switch tasks fluidly
- Self-motivated & takes initiative with an innovative mindset to drive new ideas & think outside of the box as an entrepreneurial leader
- Exceptionally organized with excellent attention to detail.
- Proactive & process-driven, with ability to think ahead to full scope of projects & deliver work on time & accurately
- Outstanding communication & collaboration
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT:
- Past examples of how you have brought a amazing ideas to life that expanded brand awareness, sentiment & consideration
- A creative thinker who turns insight into actionable ideas that build the business
- Experience working with international expansion
- Experience in working with Agile is a plus
- Subscription marketing experience & managing toward customer acquisition
- Interest in coding or passion for empowering others through coding education is a plus
- B2C and B2B marketing experience
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.