BuzzFeed Newss ambitious breaking news division is looking for a smart & fast-paced editor who can handle all aspects of helping run a general assignment desk in the internet era. This editor understands how information & disinformation travels online, can identify & assign the best stories of the day before they hit the mainstream, & is quick to think of the resulting angles & scoops before the competition.
This person will work with our staff of breaking news reporters & editors in New York City, Los Angeles, Washington DC, & Chicago. The editor will handle all sorts of copy everything from flash news to bulletproof writethrus & isnt afraid to use voice to drive home a point & to frame social news in an engaging way. Our team seeks to be the best equipped to chase the biggest news of the moment, may it be internet culture, crime, politics, tech, entertainment, & whatever else the world could throw at us.
This job could involve regular weekend and/or early-morning work.
- Have at least one year of editing experience on a fast-paced news desk with a relentless desire to push into whatever is happening on a given day with a goal of publishing distinctive coverage.
- Be savvy about news happening on & off the internet, & be skeptical enough to not immediately fall into accepted narratives.
- Be able to handle high-pressure, quick-deadline situations on some of the most competitive stories in the world, & know when to pull the trigger on a piece & when to hold on for a minute.
- Know how to inspire, challenge, develop, strategize with, & edit some of the best breaking news reporters in the country.
- Be able to appreciate & see the value in lighter, social news, while editing it with the same degree of seriousness & skill that you'll bring to an in-depth, hard news feature.
- Understand where to find public information & how to fight for it, & be able to coach reporters on interview techniques.
- Work well with editors leading the politics, tech, world, science, & culture desks & work with newsroom lawyers when needed.
This newsroom is not for the complacent. Youve got to be game for a team that constantly tries new things, that stays on top of the latest developments in how people communicate online, & that pushes aggressively to get the best information to people as fast as possible. We are, as we say, intense but friendly.
The job is based in New York & reports to the News Director. We offer competitive compensation, a generous parental leave policy, & a stock option program.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply.
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment & celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for growth & development via work experience & offerings from our in-house Learning Team
Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, & more
An attractive compensation package, including salary & equity
A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO & unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA & NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media & tech company delivering news & entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world & more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, & more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, & hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, youll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools & create content that helps connect people all over the world.