BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed News is looking for an early-career journalist with a gift for online storytelling for an exciting opportunity to be a part of News Curation, which is a team of editors responsible for creating & carrying out our strategy for distributing our journalism on social platforms.
This is a remote fellowship position it runs nine months, is paid at $20 an hour for a 40-hour workweek, & includes health benefits & paid time off. Were looking for people across the country, particularly in places that might be underrepresented in national newsrooms.
If selected, you would be a part of the team that runs distribution & audience development for our award-winning newsroom. Your day will involve promoting our stories on all of the platforms where BuzzFeed News lives, including Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, & our homepage. The tone of your day will be set by the news cycle: One day you might be working up a push alert for a vote in Congress & the other you may be brainstorming ideas with the team for a good Instagram post based on Harry & Meghans big Oprah interview. Youll learn to be nimble & jump between different platforms & youll learn how to shape stories for those audiences.
The ideal candidate should be creative & passionate about online news, & eager to hone their news judgement & learn best practices for engaging & growing an audience in collaboration with BuzzFeed News editors. Even if you're not studying journalism or you've never been published but it's a road you're curious about you should apply. Not everyone has the same path to this career & industry, & that's why we really do read every single application.
If selected, this opportunity will provide an excellent foundation & start in journalism. Well help you develop your writing, news judgment, & data fluency & can introduce you to members of the newsroom who are reporting & editing on topics you are interested in learning more about.
- Drafting social copy & posting stories on all of the platforms where BuzzFeed News lives, including Facebook, Twitter & Instagram
- Constantly testing & monitoring audience analytics to inform your sense of what a successful distribution strategy looks like.
- Supporting the team with coming up with innovative ideas for how to promote BuzzFeed News stories -- including, perhaps, on new & emerging platforms
- An instinct for news & an eagerness to build news judgement
- A strong, conversational writing style & an instinct for framing stories in an engaging & accurate way.
- Ability to keep a cool head under pressure & work quickly, accurately in a fast-paced breaking news environment.
- Interested in real-time social reporting: searching for photos, live-tweeting press conferences, etc.
- An interest in why stories take off, & a hunger to learn about real-time analytics & social sharing tools.
- Must be a team player & live on the Internet.
- Comfort with editing video & audio clips is a plus
Please apply with a rsum, your social media handles, & a brief quick cover letter that tells us more about you, your work, & why youd be good for the job. Even if you're not studying journalism or you've never been published but it's a road you're curious about, & you think you could shine in this job you should apply. Not everyone has the same path to this career & industry, & that's why we really do read every single application.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.