We are seeking an Art Director to manage the look & feel of our digital magazine, visual storytelling & video properties on Topic.com. The ideal candidate will have a passion for design, compelling narratives & have extensive experience creating content across multiple digital platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, TV Apps (Roku, AppleTV), & Snapchat.
The Art Director at Topic.com will manage all visual representation & layouts of graphic design & video for all digital platforms (ie. key art / title art, templates, etc) while working on brand creative initiatives, editorial placement, product design, & promotional integration to create a cohesive, recognizable brand statement across all platforms. The Art Director will be required to work collaboratively & creatively with the Topic.com editorial team, including photography & visuals editors, & will be strongly encouraged to contribute fresh ideas for visual storytelling formats across multiple platforms.
We are looking for a dedicated, adaptable, collaborative & imaginative leader who lives at the intersection of platform & editorial design. The Art Director will give art & design direction for all of the sites strategic priorities including the engagement & retention of our audiences & will help to elevate the role & quality of design for Topics brand to the consumer, creative & media/entertainment industries. This role will work closely with the Topic magazine & video editorial team, helping to form a smoothly run partnership across the organization. The Art Director will have a strong design aesthetic, but will also be be adaptable & able to solve visual problems about whats best for the brand & business.
The Art Director will be embedded with the Topic.com team & will report to the Head of Creative & Design under First Look Medias Marketing team in addition to having a dotted line to Topic.coms SVP of Editorial.
- Collaborate with the editorial team on the layout, arrangement, & story structure of Topic.coms photos, visuals, video, & illustrations across all digital platforms.
- Collaborate with design, editorial & marketing teams to evolve & maintain a visual identity for the brand.
- Work with the Topic.com team (SVP of Editorial, Editor, Photo Editor, & General Manager of Topic.com & the First Look Media creative team (SVP of Marketing, VP of Creative & Design) to develop an aesthetic & brand that reflects Topic.coms core values & ideals.
- Be highly collaborative & adaptable with teams & individuals across all of First Look Media brands to tackle new art initiatives, & meet unexpected challenges.
- Participate & facilitate in creative brainstorming sessions with Creative, Marketing & Editorial teams.
- Present creative work passionately & persuasively to stakeholders across the organization & externally.
- Collaborate with photographers, illustrators, designers, video producers/editors, animators & other creative partners on projects of various scales that will support larger brand vision, voice & goals.
- Build strong, supportive, & constructive relationships throughout the creative team & cross-functionally across the organization.
- Brainstorm on campaign development, creative brief development & creative execution.
- Keep the consumer & business needs at the forefront & balanced with all creative & branding decisions.
Background & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 8 years of digital art design experience, preferably in publishing, entertainment, or media.
- Bachelor's degree in design, advertising, fine art or related field.
- Proven track record of successfully collaborating with editorial/content, marketing, creative & technical teams.
- Strong sense of visual storytelling & visual aesthetic.
- Exceptional conceptual & design skills & a robust portfolio that shows your talent in both print & web.
- Knowledge of industry standard image editing tools & processes; an expertise of the Adobe suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) plus (ideally) an understanding of Flash, video production & motion graphics.
- The ability to take feedback as a process & a means to build something even better.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines & can prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves & get things done in startup environment.
- Ability to present ideas clearly & thoughtfully.
- Strong leadership skills & the ability to communicate & work well with multiple teams.
- Self-starter who is a detail-oriented, & enthusiastic team player.
- Passion for working in a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional design aesthetic, solid typography skills & awareness of design trends.
- Public recognition from the design community & recipient of design award a plus.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand & entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio & digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices, & supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib & Field of Vision, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.