Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating APIs & CLIs that our community of developers will love.
Our community loves us for our powerful, easy to use tools & interfaces. We help them scale their business to the next level. We are looking for an engineer to join our growing API Engineering team. As part of the Customer Experience group, this engineer will work closely with our community & our internal teams to bring our excellent user experience to our APIs & CLIs.
This role is wildly collaborative. Our API Engineering team is central to our mission. We have an extensive supporting cast to ensure were providing a great developer experience.
The team is distributed & DigitalOcean supports this position being fully remote. If youd prefer to be in an office, this position can be based out of our New York or Cambridge offices.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Building out our Golang API middleware layer, which our developers use to implement endpoints for our public HTTP gateway.
- Modernizing our approach to the clients & CLIs that our customers use to interact with DigitalOcean features.
- Collaborating with engineers, UX, product, support, data science & more to provide a consistent, coherent public API.
- Writing a full specification for our public API in OpenAPI v3.
- Developing an API contract testing ecosystem.
- Listening & responding to feedback from the community.
- Working (via github) on our open source software offerings.
- Partner with our infrastructure team for shared infrastructure needs (API Gateway, Auth, Deployment, Observability).
What Well Expect From You:
- Empathy for our developer users & the customers/stakeholders you support.
- Passion for delivering simple & elegant solutions that developers will love.
- Expertise working cross-functionally with distributed teams.
- Opinions about API & CLI design: Who are the inspirational/aspirational companies doing it well or not so well in your estimation?
- Experience with REST.
- Understanding of API versioning strategies, access control, & other best practices.
- Excitement about working with Golang, gRPC or similar technologies.
- Familiarity with Terraform is a plus.
- Familiarity with OpenAPI v3 and/or API contract testing a plus.
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!