You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators & doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, & genomics.
If youre excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact & joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Helix is the leading population genomics & viral surveillance company. Helix enables health systems, public health organizations & life science companies to accelerate the integration of genomic data into patient care & public health decision making.
We are continuing to scale our world-class team to support our dedication to empowering every person to improve their life through DNA.
Helix + Transparency
At Helix, we value transparency. You will find the expected compensation, interview process, what to anticipate during onboarding, & your first 90 days listed in the job description for all Helix roles.
What is special about this role?
The utilization of genomics across life sciences from drug discovery to clinical development through commercialization continues to expand as new precision medicine therapies treating hereditary diseases continue to expand. Helix is on the forefront of innovation as our unique health system partnerships & proprietary clinico-genomic data assets open up new use cases never before imagined. As the Sr. Director, New Product Development you will be responsible for sourcing & identifying new use cases for Helix assets, leverage product design & experimentation methodologies to rapidly assess market fit & potential, attractiveness of value generated, & feasibility & scalability of productizing Helix capabilities for the potential use cases. To do this youll work collaboratively across a cross-functional team to rapidly research, innovate, test & advance product concepts & feasibility. In addition in some cases you may source & secure a biopharma partner deal to pilot the helix solution & secure learnings prior to Helix investing in a full product launch. As product concepts are successfully vetted, this role will work closely with Marketing & Business Development where the product concept will be launched into the market adding another offering to the Helix product offering menu.
The successful candidate is highly agile & creative, has strong scientific expertise on hereditary diseases & genetics & is unusually adept at understanding how biopharmaceutical organizations & functions work from drug discovery, clinical development, commercial development, medical, safety, epidemiology, HEOR, market access & marketing. You bring strong strategic thinking & are a natural complex problem solver, while also an aptitude to translate ideas into concrete operations that bring forward the desired value proposition. You develop strong, trusting relationships across functions and with existing Helix partners & customers, & demonstrate systems thinking to bring all functions & parties along the journey until a product concept is fully vetted. You have a proven record of product innovation, design, testing & productizing ideas.
The candidate is also a strong people manager with demonstrated ability to train & grow talent, & will be responsible for managing our junior resources which flex across the commercial organization.
If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy the strategic nature of identifying opportunities to apply emerging science, are comfortable delivering against metrics, have a deep passion for both the science & the customer experience, & love creating high-value products with deep impact on patients, this is the role for you.
As a Snr. Director, New Product Development you will:
- Lead Helixs New Product Development efforts for biopharmaceutical use cases.
- Grow & nurture ideas to test, scale & launch thus growing our product portfolio
- Quickly identify key issues & creatively address them or rapidly deprioritize the idea
- Work collaboratively across Helix functions & Helix partners to bring new products to market
- Keep abreast of new trends among our life science customers - both scientific & therapeutic area trends, & new applications of genomic data to inform new product opportunities
- Source initial deals to serve as pilots to test a new product concept or idea.
- Develop deep familiarity & conversational fluency with Helix's products & how they can be used to solve an array of use cases
- Maintain key learnings from product ideas deprioritized, & leverage insights to inform new ideas & opportunities
- Mission-oriented, with a deep passion for improving peoples lives through DNA
- Deep scientific expertise in human genomics & implications from a healthcare perspective
- 10+ years experience in product innovation & executing on identifying & assessing new product concepts for biopharmaceutical customers.
- Deep understanding of biopharma from discovery through commercialization, their needs & ability to put yourself in their shoes to create high value product offerings.
- Prior experience in drug discovery or clinical development in a life science company.
- Proven ability to develop & maintain relationships with senior executives with experience working with a broad range of personalities, become a strategic thought partner
- Strong business acumen to understand a partners business, org structure, budget process & identify & close new win-win opportunities.
- Established track record of product innovation, design, execution & launches
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to compellingly articulate Helix's product offering to audiences with varying levels of technical skill & seniority
- Willingness to contribute in a variety of ways, even if outside formal responsibilities, combined with the ability to travel up to 30% of the time
- Technical MS required; PhD, or MD desired; MBA optional
Expected Pay For This Role:
There are 3 distinct parts to your Helix offer: 1) Base Salary 2) Annual Bonus 3) Equity
Expected Helix Base: $134,000 - $240,300
Expected Helix Discretionary Annual Bonus: 15% of your annual salary
Equity: We offer generous equity at Helix. If you receive a Helix offer your recruiter will book dedicated time with you to educate you on our equity model.
The salary range above is our reasonable estimate of the base compensation for this role across US locations. Actual starting pay will be based on non-discriminatory job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training & education, & skill level. Your recruiter can share more about your specific work location salary range during the hiring process.
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, & thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Comprehensive Health Insurance with Date of Hire eligibility
- Above average employer paid premium coverage
- 12 weeks Helix Paid Parental Leave option
- 401(k) with employer matching of up to 4% & 100% Vesting on the Date of Hire
- Comprehensive Well-Being Benefits
- 18 well-being programs covering financial, legal & wellness solutions
- Flexible PTO
- Remote options for many roles & a home office stipend
What To Expect During Your Onboarding Week:
We want to make sure your first week is spent learning the foundations. You will be invited to live orientation sessions & spend time with your hiring manager developing your individual roadmap to success. This experience will include sessions that cover your benefits, security & privacy training, an introduction to the OKR framework used at Helix & our communication tools & norms.
What To Expect During Your First 90 days:
- First 30 days: youll spend time learning the Helix way, completing training & onboarding for your roles, & getting introduced to your team & relevant stakeholders. Youll also gain a deeper understanding of our customers, our products, the impact we make in the lives of our communities, & how to thrive at Helix through participation in Helix U.
- Day 30 - 60: youll spend time contributing to projects, deeply familiarizing yourself with team & company processes, & developing a deeper understanding of Helixs products, services & capabilities.
- Day 60 - 90: youll build your OKRs with your manager, start to take ownership of projects & initiatives on your team, & begin to demonstrate your impact on the Helix mission.
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.