Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The past few years have witnessed the acceleration & convergence of two exciting trends in remote sensing & artificial intelligence: the explosion in satellite sensing constellations, government & commercial, has been matched by incredible advances in deep learning (DL), accelerated computing & open source software. New catalogues of daily temporal data will soon dominate the global archives. This data & related frontier technologies can shed light on the sustainable development challenges we face, bring revolutionary levels of transparency, & drive a culture of data-driven decision making & accountability. We are focused on researching, developing, & applying core technology in artificial intelligence that will change how our industry measures global activity. For example, we can build systems that detect deforestation within a few days from occurring, anywhere in the world, or extract the most up-to-date maps of roads & buildings for the entire continent of Africa. Our customers come from a range of sectors, including commercial, environmental, & humanitarian. We cooperate with leading R&D institutions worldwide in bringing new ideas to the market. If you are a team player, focused on research & development, & are excited about deep learning, computer vision or spatio-temporal analytics, then this job could be a great fit for you.
Impact Youll Own:
- Contribute to development of new machine learning architectures, models & analytics products using geospatial data
- Contribute to the design & development of pipelines to train, evaluate & deploy machine learning models at scale
- Contribute to the integration of partners models & algorithms into Planets analytics products
- Collaborate closely with peers on other engineering teams or with outside R&D partners, including universities
What You Bring:
- Strong background in Machine Learning/Deep Learning/Computer Vision with specific experience in the area of Earth Observations.
- Experience with Deep Learning frameworks such as Tensorflow
- Experience with GIS based software development & analysis tools.
- Good foundations of software architecture, object-oriented design, APIs & testing patterns
- Experience implementing machine learning models & deploying them in scalable environments
- MS in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Hands-on experience in two or more of the following application areas of remote sensing: LULUCF, agriculture, urban/settlement mapping, mapping of air quality & climate-changing gases, coastal applications (shallow water bathymetry, benthic habitat mapping), defense & intelligence
- Few years of experience building production software & API services
- Experience leading & managing small teams & projects
- PhD degree in topics related to Machine Learning/Deep Learning or Computer Vision/Earth Observations
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse & inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within & outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks & meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe & empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs & flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer RSUs for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment & wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks & company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers & discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.