Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build & where it takes you shouldn't be limited by the capabilities of your database. We created CockroachDB to be the most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet. Making scale so simple, you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient, it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of databaseone born in the cloud & built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, & thrive everywhere.
About the Role
The Cockroach Labs rotational PM program creates an onramp for high potential, early-career talent to move into PM positions. This program is designed to identify & train the next generation of leaders at Cockroach Labs. For the current RPM opening, the team is looking for someone with 3-5 years of work experience, & a general technical background. However, direct PM experience is not required nor expected.
This is an 18-month program structured around three high-impact rotations in which you will collect requirements, engage with customers, ship new features, & work cross-functionally to market those features. As a result, you will build excellence in the four capabilities for PMs at Cockroach Labs:
- Identifying & prioritizing problems
- Shipping de-risked solutions that make customers advocates
- Supporting the organization in driving awareness
- Timely communication to motivate, coordinate, & align
After the successful completion of the 18-month rotation, you will enter into a PM role that aligns with your interests, skillset, & the needs of our business.
- Diligently collect product requirements & document customer needs in the form of epics, user stories, & acceptance criteria.
- Work directly with developers to understand pain points with user flows.
- Put yourself in our users shoes & acceptance test features before they go live, working with product design, documentation, & engineering to prioritize & iterate on usability gaps.
- Leverage our BI platform to understand product adoption & prioritize enhancements to improve our key results.
For each 6-month rotation, you will partner with a Product Manager within that Product focus area who will provide day-to-day support & guidance as you work become familiar with & contribute to a project. The Group Product Manager (GPM) for each focus-area will also provide support, through high level strategic guidance & overall mentorship. You will also have one consistent Manager during the 18-month period to provide continuity & feedback as you grow & develop throughout the program.
In your first week, you will go through our Cockroach University training program, complete PM onboarding, & work with your manager to join your first rotation.
Over the first 30 days, you will meet the PM lead for your initial rotation & start your first project. During this time, you will shadow the lead in pod meetings, meet your immediate team members, & get familiar with our core processes.
The next three months will vary depending on the project you select. But during this time, you will likely conduct research using the Cockroach Labs methodologies & use what you learn about our users to document & flesh out a core user journey. You will start to identify user stories & explore solutions with design & engineering counterparts. You will measure & understand how your work impacts the greater teams objectives & provide inputs to the monthly product-market fit update meeting.
After six months you will have completed your first rotation & selected your second project.
- A track record of leadership & broad organizational impact.
- 3-5 years of work experience in a technical, product, or business capacity with exposure to engineering and/or design teams
- General technical experience through an engineering degree, technical work experience, or relevant educational experience such as a bootcamp
- Excellent writing skills; our strategic product meetings are based on docs rather than decks.
- A collaborative nature & an enthusiastic, amiable, & personable approach to partnering with others, open to working closely with all other functions in the company.
Reporting to Andy Woods, Data Interfaces Group Product Manager, Cockroach Labs
Andy is responsible for the overall roadmap for the Developer Experience & SQL product areas, which covers the primary developer interfaces for using CockroachDB. User journeys in this area include connecting to the database, schema design & migration, SQL coverage, query performance (including cost-based optimizer & execution engines), query introspection (why is my query slow?). Additionally, Andy is also responsible for the multi-region experience inside CockroachDB, including the SQL abstractions & underlying technology that make CockroachDB a globally distributed database. Andy joined Cockroach Labs in 2017 to help build our core database offering. When not at work, Andy enjoys a good book, movies, Crossfit workouts, & the new puppy that keeps him on his toes.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.