BuzzFeed is looking for a Counsel, Corporate & Commercial Transactions, to join a small team of experienced talented attorneys dedicated to the negotiation, execution & related legal support for BuzzFeeds most strategic transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, divestitures, licenses, alliances & collaborations, joint ventures & other complex, high-value & high-profile transactions across all BuzzFeed businesses & geographies. The attorney will be based in our New York or LA office & may be required to travel to other offices. You will report to our Associate General Counsel.
- Lead the delivery of high-quality legal support for all types of business development transactions & corporate governance matters.
- Counsel & provide legal support to BuzzFeed leaders in connection with business development opportunities & business operations, tax planning & collaboration issues under existing & completed business development relationships & transactions.
- Structure complex transactions & develop solutions to challenging legal & business issues arising in the deal context while managing risk & ensuring BuzzFeed gets the intended benefit of the transaction.
- Draft, negotiate & interpret a variety of transactional agreements & commercial documents associated with the operations of BuzzFeed including Finance, Tax, & Sales.
- Coordinate activities of large deal teams & internal & external partners, from due diligence through closing & integration.
- Manage teams responsible for execution of large-scale transactions, including managing regulatory filings, approvals & compliance, integration planning, shareholder approvals, implementation of legal entity restructuring step plans & local deal implementation activities, & providing legal support for operational readiness work in multiple jurisdictions worldwide.
- Ensure the efficient use of outside counsel for transactional/business development matters.
- Maintain visibility in the industry by networking with peers in similar positions at other companies, & keep up to date with industry changes.
- Perform other work as assigned by your manager.
- JD & active member of the NY or CA State Bar, in good standing.
- 4+ years as a corporate or transactional attorney in a top law firm or large corporate department.
- Broad corporate & transactional law experience, including experience in public & private M&A transactions, securities, corporate finance, tax & other corporate law matters.
- Familiarity with intellectual property licensing transactions, in media or digital media-related commercial transactions, including contract negotiations & drafting.
- Experience drafting & negotiating a broad variety of corporate transactional documents (e.g., board resolutions & minutes, corporate certificates) & commercial contracts, & demonstrated skill at interpreting & providing advice to internal clients regarding rights, obligations, restrictions, & all other contractual provisions & financial aspects of commercial contracts.
- Ability to work independently & under tight timelines & to plan & prioritize multiple tasks.
- Strong leadership, analytic, organization & project management skills.
- Diverse leadership experiences & capabilities including the ability to influence & with peers, oversee & guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes & create business impact.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with all business clients & other related personnel for the benefit of BuzzFeed.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, fast-paced & engaging environment.
- Willingness to handle matters in & outside areas of expertise with a can-do, flexible attitude, understanding that no job is too big or too small.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Gmail.
- Have the legal right to work in the United States.
- Experience as the primary or lead transactional attorney on complex M&A transactions
- Experience with cross-border M&A transactions, debt financing, divestitures, private and public company compliance and/or large-scale legal entity restructuring programs (i.e., internal corporate reorganization projects)
- Experience with licensing & collaboration transactions in the media industry
- Experience drafting or negotiating ancillary transaction agreements, such as transitional services agreements
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.