Lead Business Designer
Being Human takes guts. Do you have what it takes?
Human Ventures is a startup studio & venture fund based in New York City. We back & build industry changing businesses, co-founding companies alongside exceptional entrepreneurs. Were a team of strategists, engineers, designers, entrepreneurs, product managers, & investors who are changing the way startups are built.
We work with entrepreneurs to build venture-backed businesses from the ground up. We enter in as co-founders, collaborating hand-in-hand from day one, providing the resources & support needed to build companies that propel humanity forward. We then activate our deep network of advisors, investors, & talent to accelerate growth of the companies were building. And we provide a community & studio space throughout the entire journey.
Were rewriting the playbook for how to build a company. If you think thats an adventure you want to be a part of, read on.
About The Role
As a Lead Business Designer, you will play a critical role in designing, building & launching world-changing startups, by exploring the themes & trends that will drive the next wave of startups, & working hand-in-hand with entrepreneurs from the very start of their company-building journey.
Youll play a role in developing perspectives that will inform the startups that Human will build & invest in, by leading research & ideation efforts & incorporating the participation of world-class thinkers & doers.
Youll act as both a player & coach to guide & support entrepreneurs as they journey to build a startup from 0 to 1. Youll do this by leveraging a toolkit of human-centered design methodologies & lean startup principles; youll identify opportunities, design innovative & disruptive products, services & business models, & prepare entrepreneurs & their startups to launch their businesses.
Youll also champion the application of design thinking & lean startup methodologies across Human Ventures. As the Business Design team grows, youll have responsibility to mentor & lead more junior Business Designers on the team & manage them across various engagements.
Some specific responsibilities
- Lead, plan & manage work streams to design, build & launch new startups.
- Support & guide entrepreneurs through the journey of building a startup, playing the role of project manager, product manager & co-founder to keep the train moving in the right direction.
- Facilitate various kinds of collaborative ideation sessions.
- Uncover & validate user, market, business & technology insights including desk-based market research & competitive analysis, user interviews, ethnographies, surveys, & expert interviews & bring this research & insights to life through personas, customer journey maps, storyboards, system maps, etc.
- Explore & design concepts for new products, services & business models, including prototypes of varying fidelity, & run validation experiments with users, customers or other stakeholders.
- Define go-to-market, customer acquisition & growth strategies that enable businesses to get to market & find product market fit as quickly as possible
- Build the business design practice within Human Ventures by guiding how business design is utilized within the broader company building efforts, by championing business design practices to other teams, & by creating relevant tools & practices.
- You have intimate experience with what it takes to be an entrepreneur - either as one yourself, working closely with one within a startup, seriously operating as an intrapreneur or given entrepreneurial responsibilities as a consultant.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity, altitude shift from giving strategic advice to making tactical things happen, & know how to prioritize whats important.
- Youre experienced & feel at home using human-centered design & lean startup practices (ranging from ethnographic research & development of personas to running experiments & scrappy user tests to creating compelling pitches & stories) to quickly, thoroughly but flexibly create, explore & validate new ideas & concepts.
- You are adept at supporting & empowering others, as well as a highly experienced facilitator.
- You go deep in one (or more) key areas of building businesses - skills in design production (i.e. using sketch or invision to create prototypes or mockups), financial modeling, growth hacking, etc.
- Youre a methodical project manager who stays organized & works well in ambiguous situations, driving projects to completion, has successfully worked with diverse teams, & naturally empowers others & is a team-first player. Youre an effective communicator & understand what it takes to keep key stakeholders informed & engaged, & you can guide & lead others in business design practices.
- Youre curious, driven, & possess a high standard for excellence while constantly looking to grow. Youre not afraid to step into new projects, & you exhibit a never-quit-until-you-have-it-right drive.
- Youre both analytical in your thinking, yet creative & open to new options, & overall are an adept thinker & thought partner when it comes to some of the most complex, wicked problems to solve.