sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient & accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients & produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, were committed to leaving people better than we found them. Were in the business of feeding people, & were out to change what that means.
As a Captain, you will assist the head coach by leading & coaching the team in at least one of the core areas of the restaurant (e.g., service, kitchen, online ordering). You will be responsible for the day-to-day operations during your shift, which may include leading a team & managing the kitchen, customer experience, and/or online ordering. You will be responsible for modeling & acting in accordance with sweetgreens mission & core values.
Core Work Activities
Food Journey Management:
- Ensures the delivery of quality products (e.g., salads, bowls, attachments) that meet & exceed customers expectations by regularly tasting food, providing feedback, & taking immediate action when food quality does not meet expectations
- Identifies & communicates gaps in the food journey & follows up with store leadership as needed
- Ensures all food safety practices are consistently followed in accordance with company guidelines
- Communicates opportunities & other information to store leadership
- Communicates store goals + focuses during sweet talks
- Executes store operations & operational tools during scheduled shifts
- Organizes opening & closing duties as assigned
- Ensures facilities, store technology, & systems are running properly & takes immediate action (e.g., escalate to head coach, contact treehouse support) to resolve when necessary
- Runs shifts in absence of Head Coach
- Anticipates customer & restaurant needs by constantly evaluating environment & customers for cues
- Ensures a clean & presentable lobby, front line, restrooms, & outside seating (if applicable)
- Ensures the delivery of safe, healthy, & presentable food for our customers
Team Member Support:
- Provides clear, specific, timely, & respectful coaching & feedback to ensure operational excellence & improve team member performance
- Adjusts team member deployment daily as necessary to meet business needs
- Ensures team & guest safety by following operational policies & procedures (e.g., knife handling standards, food safety guidelines)
- Provides feedback to head coach on team member performance during shift
- Assists with new team member training by leveraging company training & validation tools
- Recognizes & reinforces individual & team accomplishments by using existing organizational tools & programs as well as by finding new, creative & effective methods of recognition
- Creates a positive work environment in line with our mission + values
- Must have obtained Food Handler Certificate as required by city or state
- Ability to build relationships with customers, team members, & leadership
- Ability to communicate & understand written & verbal information effectively
- Ability to direct the work of others
- Ability to use & learn new technology & systems
- Ability to quickly manage various types of situations & crises
- Demonstrates honesty & integrity
- Knowledge of food safety practices
- Knowledge of the restaurant industry
- Planning & organizational skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Visually verifies information
- Sees details at a close range (within a few feet).
- Reads information, sometimes in small print.
- Enters & locates information on electronic systems, such as computers & tablets.
- Reaches for products & tools, extending hands & arms in any direction.
- Stands for sustained periods of time.
- Walks, moves about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Lifts objects that are 10 lbs or more from lower to higher positions.
- Repetitive motion, substantial movements of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Subject to exposure to cleaning chemicals.
- Kneels, bends, or crouches to access low spaces.
- Functions in narrow aisles or passageways.
Position Type & Expected Hours of Work
The schedule can vary weekly (e.g., including nights, weekends, & holidays).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Other duties, responsibilities & activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Come join thesweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us & everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, pleaseclick here.