Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, & vehicles everywhere. More than 3.5 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platforms flexibility, security & privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs & APIs to create customized & immersive experiences that delight their customers. Whether youre watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking todays forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location & maps within those apps.
What You'll Do
Were looking for a lawyer with 7 + years of practicing attorney experience, ideally in a technology company, to join our small & collaborative legal team. The right candidate will be hard-working, keen to learn our products & business, & willing to dig into a wide variety of projects in a fast-paced environment. On the commercial side, this encompasses complex data in-licenses, as well as sales & partner deals. On the product side, this includes the full gamut of working with our product & engineering colleagues & our Lead Privacy Counsel to help bring products & features alive & to our customers!
This is a senior role where you will come up with practical & creative solutions to get deals done & advance our business. Drafting & communication skills are extremely important. We believe that it is the role of in-house counsel to own the deal. Working with the GC & other legal team members, you will develop the ability to both mitigate & accept risk. We almost never say to our colleagues thats a business issue for you to decide.
This is a senior individual contributor role. We are not processing hundreds of small sales deals with tweaks to the governing law clause. Instead, our data in-licenses & sales deals are complex & require a thoughtful approach by a senior lawyer. While we work closely together & thus teach & learn from each other every day, you will not have direct reports.
This is a combination of a senior commercial & product role. Some product lawyers dont want to draft agreements & be in the fray with sales folks; some commercial lawyers arent interested in getting through the engineering speak to figure out what the hell the engineers/product folks are trying to do & help them get it done. Were looking for someone who is enthusiastic about all of it!
This is a high-growth, interdisciplinary position where you'll be learning every day & youll need to become conversant in our technology & business. We dont believe that lawyers can give good legal advice in a vacuum, & so its critical that you are interested in & become immersed in our business & products. An undergraduate degree in engineering or computer science is a definite plus.
We think its important to continually be improving operational processes/updating forms because this is how we can scale a small legal organization, supporting a fast-growing tech company. You need to share & participate in these efforts to scale our department & improve our services. Prior work in a pre-IPO company will be extremely helpful.
We are a flat organization, but we pitch in & help each other. You must be willing to roll up your sleeves & dive into a variety of legal issues, enjoy the give & take of collaboration & take feedback.
This is a perfect position for an ambitious lawyer who wants to be a General Counsel of a small technology company in 5 years. Not that we want you to leave Mapbox, but we are training cross-functional generalists who are able to understand & practically address business problems & risk & who can work in a variety of cross-functional areas which is the perfect training for a General Counsel.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 7+ years of practicing attorney experience, with 2+ years at a top-tier law firm in any area & 5+ years in-house at a technology company in commercial/data/IP licensing /sales deals/product counseling (not patent prosecution).
- Extensive experience working on complex sales deals/data in-licenses to get deals done.
- Candidates with an engineering, computer science or other technical background will have an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills. Your writing & verbal communications need to be clear & concise.
- A practical & customer-centric orientation & negotiation style. You understand (or will quickly learn) the business deal so you know what matters & what doesn't & will focus on practical resolutions to speed deals through the pipeline.
- A sense of humor. We take our work seriously, but we try not to take ourselves too seriously.
- The legal team is working entirely remotely. While we think candidates who live near technology hubs often have the best backgrounds, we will consider remote candidates who live anywhere the US. We prefer candidates in the Pacific time zone.
- JD degree from top-tier law school & active membership in at least one US state bar.
- If your resume doesnt clearly demonstrate the first bullet point above, you should include a cover note as to why you are interested in this role & why you think you would be a good fit despite not meeting those criteria. Resumes without a cover note in those circumstances will likely not be considered.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position & are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems & opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, & innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching & learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function & the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team & encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, & sexual orientations to apply.