Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Revenue Accounting Manager to join our Accounting team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have a background in public accounting, experience accounting for revenue at a retail or e-commerce company, & will have worked with a company who adopted ASC 606. You will have at least one direct report, & you will report to the Controller based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What youll do:
- Responsible for ensuring the financial accuracy of gross margin, by overseeing the application of revenue recognition standards (i.e. ASC 606), ensuring we properly record & reconcile gross-to-net revenue, cost of goods sold, & related reserves at a line-item SKU level across all channels
- Oversee the application of ASC 460 & ASC 606 related to product & service warranties, including building & testing managements estimates & assumptions
- Manage the sales audit process to ensure reconciliation of revenue to cash across all channels & locations
- Ensure proper recording & reconciliation of deferred revenue, gift card liability, store credit liability, refund reserves, & other revenue-related balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis
- Develop & manage the process to proactively review all non-D2C revenue deals (such as royalty arrangements or wholesale partnerships), assess the accounting considerations, & ensure we are properly executing the terms of the agreement
- Ensure indirect tax (sales tax, VAT, GST) is properly recorded & reconciled on a monthly basis
- Coach, mentor & lead direct reports to ensure your function has the training & development required to achieve business/department objectives
- Support the implementation of an ERP system, payment processor, gift card provider, & other special projects related to the order to cash cycle
- Assist with audit requests, such as preparing supporting documentation & schedules
- Maintain process documentation & look for opportunities to automate & improve daily accounting processes
Who you are:
- 4+ years of relevant experience, including 2+ years at a public accounting firm
- Direct experience with or technical understanding of ASC 606
- Exceptional Microsoft Excel skills, with the ability to analyze large data sets
- Experience with or exposure to sales tax preferred but not required
- Desire to identify & solve problems
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.