This is a hourly full-time temporary position for summer 2021.
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity & play? If you are motivated & you possess leadership experience both on & off the playground we want you to join our team & put your passion for play to work for us.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, & healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, & build valuable social & emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, & after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, & consultative partnerships.
Heres where you come in:
As a Program Coordinator or "Coach" you will bring healthy play & physical activity to elementary schools to create a positive environment for learning & teaching. In this position, you are trained & placed at a school to run Playworks' physical activity program focused on teaching & organizing safe & inclusive games before, during & after school. You teach conflict resolution strategies, inspire all children to get off the sidelines & into the game & work to generate more community & family involvement.
Specifically, you will have Program, Administrative, & School Partnership Duties as follows-
Plan & implement sports & play based programming during recess / play time, in school & after school hours at a public elementary school:
- Recess / Play time- Create a safe, fun, & inclusive playground by developing & modelling standard agreements for behavior & conflict resolution skills, teaching kids & recess support staff the rules & strategies of the games & recruiting disengaged students to participate.
- Junior Coach Leadership Program - Implement a youth leadership program by facilitating student trainings & providing student leadership opportunities at recess. Junior Coaches are a mix of 4th through 6th grade students who participate in regular trainings that focus on teaching valuable skills like leadership, conflict resolution, inclusion & community action, successfully improving their self-esteem, self-advocacy, leadership ability, & desire to improve academically.
- Class Game Time - Lead instructional time with individual classes throughout the year. During this time, the coach teaches foundational skills & activities that will prepare students so they can confidently engage in & enjoy recess.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, families, & volunteers.
- Collect & maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, & monthly schedules & timesheets.
- Support the collection of evaluations administered by Playworks
School Partnership Duties:
- Consistently represent Playworks brand in a professional manner.
- Design program schedule with input & support from school administration.
- Communicate with school administration regarding program implementation logistics & support needs.
- Facilitate schools transition to other Playworks training, programs, & products in preparation for future school year.
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- The strongest candidates will be motivated self-starters with strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral & written.
- You will be successful if you are humorous & playful, with the ability to set clear goals & follow through with flexible & creative problem-solving tools.
- Success in this position requires you to be a multitasker with a strong eye for detail & an ability to consider the larger context.
Required Skills & Experience
- High school education or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience leading and/or teaching small & large groups of children with the ability to engage & inspire youth
- Experience interacting with diverse communities & the ability to integrate into & existing school community
- Knowledge of computer & internet-based programs for use in communication & reporting requirements
- Ability to manage assorted tasks with a focus on enhancing the experience for youth during the school day
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to/from assigned school
- Candidates must clear a National Sex Offender Public Registry, State criminal check, & FBI background check
- Successful completion of TB test (upon hire)
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a temporary, hourly position during summer 2021. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit hourly wage.
- Opportunities for professional development
This is a hands-on, creative, playful & fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nations youth. If you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges & if you've got the skills, experience, passion, & a team spirit, apply!
- Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted on a rolling basis
Other things you need to know:
- This position may require travel to various locations.
- If a Playworks employee is required to drive a vehicle for work related purposes (not commuting purposes) the employee must complete an authorization form & provide us with evidence of valid, current driver's license & proof of liability/collision/property damage insurance with minimum coverage of $50,000 each accident/ $100,000 each occurrence
- You must have outstanding communication skills-in addition to maintaining an open line of communication, you'll demonstrate excellent communication skills, including good phone & email etiquette & the ability to facilitate small & large group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment
Typical physical & mental demands:
- Playworks Coaches are required to frequently balance, bend, climb, grasp, kneel, reach, sit, squat, stand, stoop, twist, walk, & write on a daily basis. Coaches must also be able to occasionally lift & carry light to medium loads of 10 50 pounds & be able to occasionally pull & push loads of 10 50 pounds. Requires a normal range of hearing & eyesight to communicate with children & adults. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe & healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, & build valuable social & emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing & managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community & healthy play are the foundation of our organization & are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting & retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex & physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, & any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.