SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER, 4G/5G PROTOCOLS (DIRECT TO CELL)
SpaceX is developing a breakthrough new direct to cell satellite network to bring ubiquitous cellular connectivity worldwide via the Starlink constellation. We are partnering with telecommunication companies around the world to bring this service directly from satellites to existing cell phones, with the goal of providing coverage anywhere a phone can see the sky.
More than 20% of the United States & 90% of the Earth remain uncovered by existing wireless networks, negatively impacting communities around the world. Starlink was designed to connect the disconnected & this new product will greatly expand that mission, extending Starlinks potential reach to billions of existing cellular devices. The applications range from connecting hikers in national parks, emergency workers such as firefighters, rural communities, remote sensors & devices, & people & devices in emergency situations. You can learn more about this recently announced effort here.
We are seeking talented software engineers to join us in making this vision a reality & solving a wide range of novel engineering challenges:
- Cutting-edge networking algorithms capable of connecting thousands of satellites to millions of users in real time
- Custom 4G LTE & 5G network software supporting all layers of the protocol stack (L1/L2/L3), running for the first time on hardware in space
- Firmware & control software for one of the most complex communication payloads ever built, running on custom-built silicon chips
- Infrastructure & tools enabling a highly reliable, software-defined global network
- Design, implement, test, maintain, & document the link-layer protocol for the Starlink satellite communications network
- Work with the PHY & network teams to seamlessly integrate the link-layer within the network stack
- Integrate the link-layer with simulation infrastructure
- Use network monitoring tools to analyze & monitor link layer performance. Debug & fix network reliability issues
- Participate in architecture, design & code reviews & provide peer feedback
- Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering, math, or STEM discipline; OR 2+ years of professional experience in software development in lieu of a degree
- 5+ years of professional development experience in C/C++ & Python
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of professional experience in embedded Linux C/C++ software development, specific to communications protocols
- 2+ years of professional experience in any of the L1, L2, L3 protocol stack layers in broadband access technologies such as: Wi-Fi, UMTS, LTE or satellite broadband
- Masters degree in computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering
- Experience in multithread/multicore programming in real-time-OS environment
- Experience in modeling, designing, & validating MAC protocols
- Scripting ability with Python or similar
- Skilled in troubleshooting & tuning of component hardware, software, networking, & communications protocol problems
- Understanding of network layer components such as IPv4, IPv6, Mobile IP, routing, or forwarding
- Experience in development of very high-performance software with minimum delay & tight CPU constraints
- Must be able to work extended hours & weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.