At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the department
Cloudflare is looking to build & grow our data analytics/business intelligence team that is responsible for building a large-scale enterprise data platform(data lake, EDW etc.) that combines massive petabyte scale traffic logs with data from various business systems supporting product, marketing, customer support, sales, finance etc. & enabling easier consumption of that data using tools to drive standard reporting, adhoc/exploratory analytics & advanced insights using data science models.
About the role
As part of this initiative, we are looking for a strong data scientist to come join Cloudflare & help us drive predictive analytic insights & best practices at scale from the ground up. This is a high visibility role & success in this role comes from marrying a strong data & modeling background with acute product & business acumen to deliver highly strategic & compelling insights that accelerate our business growth & influence our product decisions within Cloudflare. This person will also play a crucial role in hiring & growing the data science team in Austin in a rapid manner.
What we look for: Predictive Modeling techniques, Machine Learning, Model creation & deployment, Storytelling & Visualization, Strong Business & Product acumen, Cross-functional Collaboration, Creative Problem solving, Agile
What you'll do
- Partner & align with business leaders, stakeholders, product managers & internal teams to understand the business & product challenges & goals & address them using predictive analytics in a globally distributed environment.
- Understand data landscape i.e tooling, tech stack, source systems etc. & work closely with the data engineering team to improve the data collection & quality.
- Understand business/product strategy & high-level roadmap & align analysis efforts to enable them with data insights & help achieve their strategic goals.
- Strong audience focused presentation & storytelling skills focused on key takeaways in a crisp & concise manner.
- Define, implement, & train statistical, machine learning, & deep learning models.
- Use software engineering best practices to publish model scores/insights/learnings at scale within the company.
- Ability to define & spot macro & micro levels trends with statistical significance on a regular basis & understand key drivers driving those trends.
- Active role in hiring, growing, & mentoring the data scientist team in Austin.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge & experience
- M.S or Ph.D in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative field.
- Strong experience in scientific computing using Python, R, or Scala.
- Experience with Spark, SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, Hive & BigQuery (or any other Big data/Cloud equivalent) etc.
- Experience working with & processing structured, unstructured, & semi-structured data.
- Work closely with data engineering team to ensure robust data pipelines & model deployment.
- Proven track record of applying data insights & machine learning in order to address business needs & drive revenue.
- 5+ years of data scientist experience with proven industry experience in a large scale environment (PBs scale, globally distributed teams).
- 2+ years experience with a fast-growing SaaS business based company is preferred.
- Strong communication & presentation skills catered to different audience within the company.
- Capable of working closely with business, engineering, & product teams to ensure data initiatives are aligned with business needs.
- Experience in hiring data scientists & establishing team best practices is preferred.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people & place great value in both diversity & inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94115.