ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
Were looking for an experienced mentor & leader to join theSkimm's Tech team as a Senior Engineer (Backend). Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial & Audio to Marketing & Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems & processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, & learn quickly so we can take best advantage of whats coming.
Reporting to the Director of Backend Engineering, youll be responsible for designing & building our core APIs & infrastructure, which support all our products & services across several platforms. Youll help inform the direction of our technical decisions, & lead engineering squads as they develop & refine our systems. Youll collaborate closely with our Frontend, Mobile & Data teams, as well as our Operations, Editorial, & Marketing teams who leverage the data & services you will create.
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Demonstrated experience with Ruby on Rails
- 3+ years of industry experience building scalable, secure & resilient API endpoints & databases
- Experience with CI/CD techniques & tools, including CircleCI, GitHub Actions, & the related processes that support them
- Familiarity with container architectures, particularly ECS
- Familiarity with key components of the AWS suite of tools (EC2, RDS, S3, CloudFront, Route 53, & others)
- Eagerness & ability to learn new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, & high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting & discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Demonstrated experience mentoring other developers, including reviewing code contributions for clarity & efficiency, & giving constructive, supportive feedback
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience with infrastructure as code using Terraform
- Experience in content delivery architectures & related businesses
- Experience in securing & managing sensitive data & PII
- Experience working in an Agile environment (Scrum)
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience & mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news & makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. theSkimms product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'' & Skimmd From the Couch, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. theSkimms first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the lifes necessity categories & expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- & the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work.