At GoCardless, were passionate about payments. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best way to collect recurring payments, wherever they & their customers are in the world.
Today, we help over 55,000 businesses take the pain out of getting paid, so they can focus on what they do best. And through our partnerships with over 200 software providers such as Xero, Zuora, Salesforce & Quickbooks, more & more businesses are benefiting from our unique global payments platform every day. We process $15bn of payments a year across more than 30 countries, powering recurring payments for businesses worldwide, from multinational corporations to small businesses.
Were headquartered in the UK, & backed by some of the worlds leading investors including Google Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners & Notion Capital. Over 400 employees worldwide have decided to develop their careers with us. Weve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire & develop people who share our desire to do work we can be proud of. We value learning & feedback, & support colleagues to develop in their role & more broadly in their career.
Take on the challenge of leading compliance for the USA at a cutting-edge, dynamic & high-growth fintech company.
GoCardless processes billions in payments each year. Over 50,000 businesses across the US, UK, Europea & beyond rely on us to handle their payments, & many more sign up every week. As we look to the future, those businesses will be larger, more demanding, & present in multiple countries - & so will we. We are responsible for helping drive forward this expansion, & fulfilling our obligations to our regulators & partners, all whilst providing the best possible experience for our merchants.
Were approaching Risk in Financial Services in a new way.
- We are ready to serve everyone if we wanted to - we ensure Risk does not constrain the business but empowers it to achieve its goals;
- We automate everything we do - we dont like inefficiencies nor do we believe that real risk mitigation is achieved by throwing people at the problem; and
- We create the best possible customer experience - we want our customers (both internal & external) to look forward to going through our processes.
The legal & compliance teams are at the forefront of GoCardless expansion. We must ensure that GoCardless adopts, implements & maintains forward-thinking & appropriate processes & controls, often coming across new challenges or issues that require innovative solutions.
You will be responsible for all USA compliance matters at GoCardless, & will be a named individual on our state Money Transmitter Licenses (MTLs) & FinCEN registration. You will take a consultative approach & work closely with every business division to implement & manage an innovative & practical, yet thorough, compliance regime.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Leading on the application of MTLs.
- Ensuring GoCardless has a programme in place to comply with MTLs & Bank Secrecy Act requirements.
- Surveying & interpreting our regulatory & broader risk landscape in the USA - including for financial regulation, AML & payment schemes.
- Working with all levels of the business to establish & execute a world-class compliance framework, monitoring & training programme, focused on ensuring cross-company understanding & ownership of regulatory risk.
- Being directly responsible to the regulator for management of our MTLs & GoCardless Incs compliance with those licenses.
- Managing regulatory oversight, controls, reporting & engagement for the USA.
- Reporting to the GoCardless group management as the risk owner for USA regulatory compliance.
- Monitoring, testing & reporting on the effectiveness of the USA compliance programme.
- Being a member of the management team for the USA entity, assisting with the management of all USA business matters.
Were looking for someone with experience in a regulated financial institution, who is passionate about moving to a fast-paced fintech startup.
You may be an experienced financial services regulatory manager, coming from a larger organisation & looking for an exciting new challenge, or perhaps you have already been through a high-growth journey in a similar role, & are excited about taking on similar challenges in a company with a great culture.
Wed love to hear from you if:
- You have direct experience in managing a financial institution in the USA.
- You can see, & explain how new regulations coming into play will impact the business products & expansion plans.
- You have dealt directly with financial services regulation & regulators.
- You have experience in drafting, implementing & rolling out compliance plans, frameworks & policies across a company or department, & preferably centrally rather than following a central policy locally.
- You are easy to work with, & want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding young company.
- Can operate at a strategic level & demonstrate the value of compliance.
- Your communication skills are first class, & you are able to distill complex & cumbersome regulation into understandable language.
Bonus points if:
- You have experience with state regulators on MTL matters, & FinCEN on BSA matters.
- You have experienced a fast-growth journey (in a company growing 50%+ YoY).
We recognise that the most talented people have the most unusual backgrounds, so if youre unsure, please apply. The role will be based in San Francisco & might require a small amount of international travel.
Life at GoCardless
Diversity is hugely important to us & we welcome applications from those with disabilities & from under-represented backgrounds. Throughout our hiring & onboarding process we make any reasonable adjustments necessary to create a level playing field & continually look at how we can improve in this area. We also have active employee resource groups (such a BEAM & Rainbow) that are supported & sponsored by members of our Exec team; they work to engage & inspire our employees on diversity & inclusion topics throughout the year.
We offer flexible working hours & remote working arrangements, enhanced parental leave & pension packages. Youll also receive equity, because we believe having this buy in is a vital part of building a successful business where everybody - regardless of their role - can make a valuable contribution.
The COVID-19 pandemic has seen everybody at GoCardless shift to remote working & this is something well continue to do into 2021. We continually review this approach in conjunction with the changing restrictions in each of our locations; additionally we offer support to maintain wellbeing & comfort, including subsidised home office equipment, workstation assessments & a range of remote social activities you can dip in & out of whenever you fancy.
Find out more about Life at GoCardless via Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.