About This Position
As a Senior Portfolio Manager on the Investments team, you will work in close collaboration with Ellevests team of Financial Advisors to develop, execute, & manage investment portfolios for high net worth clients in accordance to client objectives & the firms investment philosophy & methodology. You will provide direction & guidance to Financial Advisors to develop investment proposals & personalized investment strategies, leveraging Ellevests asset allocation & investment methodology established by the Investments team. You will manage, monitor, & maintain client portfolios, adjusting as circumstances change, & communicate progress with Financial Advisors & clients.
Together with members of the investment team, you have a fiduciary responsibility & oversight for client portfolios to ensure they are being managed in accordance with established client goals, risk preferences, & financial circumstances. This role requires exceptional proactive communication skills both internally across teams & externally with clients. As a member of the Investments team, you will play an important role in building Ellevests private wealth management business by communicating the firms investment philosophy & methodology & clients personalized investment strategy to prospects & clients.
You have deep investments knowledge & demonstrated experience establishing client suitability & developing asset allocations & specific investment recommendations to meet client objectives in a fiduciary capacity. You have broad experience managing high net worth client portfolios & executing against an investment plan considering clients existing holdings, tax posture, & the tax efficiency of securities. You have the skills & ability to make critical decisions independently & confidently, & think holistically about a clients financial situation, anticipating any downstream consequences of investment decisions.
You have an unrelenting eye for detail & are persistent in your pursuit of quality & fiduciary responsibility, while balancing client preferences & needs. You have outstanding interpersonal & communication skills & the confidence to hold firm to fiduciary & compliance standards, as well as the skills & flexibility to handle challenging situations & a range of personalities & styles with ease & a positive attitude. You embrace impact investing & an investment philosophy of efficient markets. You are comfortable & enjoy working in a fast-paced, ambiguous, startup environment & are excited about creating new processes & investment solutions. You are a strong advocate for our clients & embrace a culture of compliance.
- Work with Financial Advisors to develop customized investment strategies & construct portfolios to meet client objectives consistent with Ellevests investment philosophy
- Generate investment guidelines specific to client risk preferences, goals, & unique financial situation
- Independently monitor client portfolios & suggest changes as needed
- Execute transactions efficiently for client portfolios as necessary
- Champion Ellevests investment philosophy, methodology, & approach to clients & prospects
- Maintain existing systems & templates for client portfolio analyses & proposal generation
- Collect requirements for client report requests & work with other members of the investment team to develop
- Regularly report on portfolio progress & developments to Financial Advisors & clients
- 7+ years experience in decision-making portfolio or investment management function, ideally working with high net worth clients
- Demonstrated knowledge of a broad range of securities across global equities, fixed income, & alternatives
- CFA designation
- Experience with asset allocation & trade execution in consideration of tax consequences
- Outstanding interpersonal, client & oral communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail & understanding of fiduciary responsibility
- Ability to translate investment solutions & communicate them clearly to financial advisors, clients, & prospects with different levels of investment expertise
- Excellent problem-solving skills, able to think creatively & innovatively
- Ability to juggle different roles, multi-task, & work effectively in a highly unstructured environment
- Exposure and/or experience with illiquid alternatives a plus
- Very familiar with Excel, familiarity with Schwab Institutional, Black Diamond, & TRX a plus
- Adapt to a fast-paced & dynamic work environment. This includes working independently & on a team.
- Passion for our women-oriented mission & impact investing
Ellevest is a transformative technology company created to help women achieve their financial potential. Ellevest helps women take control of their financial futures through investing, with a beautifully designed digital platform backed by an incredibly smart algorithm. Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck, chair of the Ellevate Network, previously CEO of Smith Barney & Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, formerly CFO of Citi, & author of Own It: The Power of Women at Work. Ellevest has raised $70MM from investors like Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, & Venus Williams.
Ellevest has flipped the traditional approach to investing with a real-life, goal-based approach. Clients select personal financial goals such as buying a home, starting a business, raising a family, & retiring well, among others. Ellevest is unique in taking into account a womans longer lifespan & different salary curve, combined with her current financial picture, to construct highly customized investment portfolios for each of her goals. Ellevests unique algorithms are designed to get the client to her goal number or better in 70% of market scenarios, higher than traditional financial advisors.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest is a leading tech company in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, & operations organizations. We place a major emphasis on building a team & working environment where individuals can succeed professionally & personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, & to have room for fun & fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent & teamwork, & team is the most important thing to us.
In 2018, Ellevest was awarded the #14 spot on LinkedIns list of most sought-after startups, as well as a spot on CNBCs Disruptor 50 list -- identifying start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech & business shifts. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazines 100 Brilliant Ideas, & CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Startups on a path to becoming tomorrows household names. We are working every day to make this a reality, & create a brand & a service that closes the female money gap.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the three questions at the bottom of this application.