Want to help people get the financial protection they need & feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare & buy insurance online. Since 2014, weve raised over $52 million of venture capital, established ourselves as a pioneer inFintech & helped more than 4.5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're rapidly growing & looking for people with grit, great attitudes & creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we were voted one of INC's best workplaces of 2018!
About the role...
We are looking for an experienced leader to run our Business Operations department. The Business Operations (BizOps) function at Policygenius works on the highest impact business problems we face. Reporting directly into the CEO & leading a multidisciplinary team, the Head of BizOps is responsible for delivering whats needed to move Policygenius forward on its ambitious plan to become a leader in fintech.
To be successful in this role, you must have experience building & leading a business operations team (or similar function) at a growth-stage tech company. You should have a highly analytical background, with deep experience in cross-functional problem-solving & a laser focus on distilling insights from data to optimize processes, increase conversion & revenue, & deliver real business impact. The ideal candidate is a creative business leader & skilled operator who gets things done, communicates & manages stakeholders effectively, & is comfortable operating within a fast-paced growth company environment.
- Design, hire, & manage a business operations function that supports the growth goals of our business & serves our customer needs
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop, champion, & launch new initiatives; incubate new service lines & offerings to prepare them for scale
- Take complete ownership of, & accountability for, high priority projects/programs from end-to-end: business case, alternatives evaluation, scope, cost, risks, interdependencies, workplan, implementation, impact measurement, scaling & iteration
- Develop new business models, organizational structures & cross-functional initiatives to increase synergies across the company & drive long-term business sustainability
- Increase business predictability & transparency by owning our regular reporting; proactively generate & act on insights to improve performance
- Level up our business intelligence & analytics capabilities to support business goals & ensure consistency in how we use our data to influence decision-making
- Author, manage, & deliver executive-level reporting, including regular & ad hoc status reports to manage risk & improve team communication & collaboration
- Support the CEO in strategic planning, organizational planning, & business rhythm processes, aligning with other functions to develop budgets, objectives & key results (OKRs), resource & capital plans, etc.
- Stay on top of industry & consumer trends to explore new markets & business models; create forward-looking forecasts, conduct competitive assessments, & evaluate recommendations for strategic growth & monetization
- 10+ years experience in strategy & business operations roles in a startup or high-growth environment
- 2+ years of experience at a top-tier management consulting firm, investment bank or PE/VC firm; MBA preferred
- Excellent people management skills & a track record of designing & building business operations teams, from recruiting to performance management; experience hiring & managing analytical, BI & data roles preferred
- Demonstrated success identifying, implementing, managing & measuring the drivers of best-in-class company performance
- A strong problem-solving track record youre able to think critically through unique problems with no set playbook & quickly implement a path to a solution, & you can toggle effortlessly between big picture strategy & in-the-weeds tactical problem-solving
- Natural curiosity & exceptional analytical skills youre able to structure & process qualitative & quantitative data, formulate & test hypotheses, synthesize your findings & draw insightful conclusions that you can translate into results
- Excellent organization & self-motivation -- youre able to plan & manage projects & budgets with a tight focus on execution & attention to detail, & can independently prioritize & drive initiatives to successful completion
- The ability to communicate & collaborate effectively with people at all levels across the company, including junior colleagues, peers, & executive leadership (including the companys board of directors)
- A demonstrated results-orientation, with strong decision-making skills & the ability to prioritize multiple objectives while meeting aggressive deadlines
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship & coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join (Shhh Its a secret!)