Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide & joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, & The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is constantly working on next generation systems & space platforms & we are seeking a satellite communication engineer with a focus on digital communications & signal processing. Working on a world-class engineering team, you will take responsibility for defining & implementing the modulation & coding schemes for various radios & working with the appropriate teams to implement software defined radios on CPUs/GPUs/FPGAs & getting them flight ready, validating & testing them in the lab, & well as ensuring they perform on orbit. You will work closely with Planets Ground Station team to implement SDRs that eventually will be deployed at our ground stations. You will qualify & improve performance, reliability, & lifetime by working with the reliability & qualification teams. You will work closely with systems engineering, missions, & manufacturing teams to ensure mission success. Simply put, you will build the space systems of tomorrow.
Impact Youll Own:
- Architect the digital communication schemes for various radios currently used by Planet
- Implement & validate the software defined radios on appropriate platforms (CPU/GPU/FPGAs)
- Lead design efforts for the validation of the end-to-end design of the satellite communications systems
What You Bring:
- Experience in RF transceiver design, development, testing, & troubleshooting
- Experience with software defined radios, signal processing, & digital communication techniques
- Experience with RF test equipment such as spectrum & network analyzers
- Experience with GNU radio & linux development tools
- Experience defining & measuring radio performance metrics such as SNR, BER, PER, & constellation visualization in real time
- Understanding of RF test equipment & hands on lab experience testing complex RF systems
- BS in Electrical/Computer Science or similar work experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with Altium or similar EDA tools, HFSS/ADS or other RF simulation tools
- Experience in Linux, Python, & data analysis
- Experience with development using Verilog or other FPGA hardware description languages; use of IP cores & logic around them
- Experience with environmental qualification & verification of prototype designs
- Excited by working in an agile, fast-paced environment, even in times of uncertainty & ambiguity.
- Experience with spacecraft system design, & general EE design is a plus.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.