Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About our Team:
Our engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics & shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our custom logistics management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering & algorithms to create a personalized website & an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to an amazing customer experience.
About the Job:
As an Engineering Manager at Rent the Runway, you will be responsible for leading & guiding the most important part of our engineering organization - our people. Our passion is to deliver experiences that make our users fall in love with us again & again, & this means nurturing our culture of collaboration, communication, & coordination between & within teams. Behind the scenes at Rent the Runway, we not only have the user-facing website that is the public face of our company but everything from the platform & reservation systems that power it, to a huge reverse logistics operation that operates from multiple fulfillment centers across the country.
As Engineering Manager of the Product Security team, you will work with a passionate group of engineers focused on the mission of ensuring the security & compliance of our consumer-facing systems. You work closely with the team to implement features to protect, balance customers' experience, secure access, maintain compliance, & reduce fraud.
What Youll Do:
- Drive technical projects to success & provide leadership in a fast-paced startup environment
- Conduct regular check-ins & 1-1s with team members
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members
- Lead a team of diverse & talented software engineers (front end, back end, mobile & full stack)
- Communicate across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, & Design
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder & technical resource as necessary & removing roadblocks
- Provide technical product direction for projects, both customer-facing & internal
- Lead prioritization efforts & provide mentorship to others
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- Hands-on technical leadership and/or people management experience
- A strong appreciation for engineering best practices & quality over quantity of work
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration & ingenuity
- A knack for effective & clear communication in all circumstances
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, java microservices, algorithms, & SQL/NoSQL databases
- Experience in modern frameworks & design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux)
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis & optimization
- Ability to understand, diagnose, & effectively articulate technical challenges & solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems & make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.