Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, & meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, & books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly & 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, & distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, & NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBCs Disruptor 50, one of Forbes Next Billion-Dollar Startups, & the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the 5000.
What you'll do:
- Lead our overall Product Engineering organization & manage, coach, & support a team of engineering leaders
- Recruit, hire & mentor, motivate & promote world class engineers & engineering leaders of all levels of experience
- Define the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all major areas, including feature development, automated testing, resiliency & scalability of systems.
- Foster an engineering culture of innovation, iteration, craftsmanship & ownership
- Work with senior management & business stakeholders to shape & deliver the technical & product roadmap, & define quarterly OKRs for your department
- Manage & evolve the development & deployment process & achieve ideal deployment cadences for different product suites while keeping the business teams informed & bought in.
- Work closely with our executive team on acquisitions & strategic partnerships
- Have successfully scaled an organization from 50 to 100+ engineers
- 10+ years of industry leadership experience in leading engineering teams for medium/large SaaS/Cloud environments
- Experience building highly-available & global scale web & mobile applications, ideally with AWS
- Experience running multiple product development teams (P&L) & defining departmental KPIs & SLAs
- Degree in CS or a related field
- Experience as a public company executive preferred
Skillz embraces diversity & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.