Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet seeks a Corporate Development Intern to help the company become the consolidator in the Earth Observation ecosystem, both in the aerospace & cloud-native geospatial sectors. You will work with the rest of the Corporate Development team tol help define how strategic M&A, Joint Ventures, & other strategic partnerships can help accelerate the product roadmap & drive growth for Planet. You will help identify acquisition targets based on our strategic framework & develop strategy briefs for Exec team review.. This position will report to the Vice President of Corporate Development at Planet & work closely with the Director of Special Projects & Market Research Lead.
Impact Youll Own:
- Develop & maintain a pipeline of Corporate Development opportunities & competitors
- Connect research & market intelligence findings to strategic M&A opportunities
- Assess the competitive landscape, industry developments & emerging customer needs to help guide company strategy
- Distill information across our roadmaps & recommend opportunities that accelerate our strategy
- Identify key industry trends, maintaining relationships with relevant external partners
- Instill a customer-first culture centered around placing Planet customers at the forefront of every business decision
What You Bring:
- Experience in market research, consulting, venture capital, or SaaS; high-growth or early stage startup experience is a plus
- Track record of creating & managing a competitive intelligence process
- Expertise with primary & secondary research methodologies
- Experience pulling together qualitative & quantitative information into actionable insight
- Ability to leverage competitive information & forecast industry evolution
- Strong interpersonal & relationship-building skills to engage & collaborate with stakeholders & achieve a shared understanding & vision
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent project, time, & budget management skills, & being able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail
- Deep understanding of Planets mission & customer values, needs, & goals
What Makes You Stand Out:
- A strong interest in developing business cases, competitive assessments, & go-to-market strategies.
- Familiarity with U.S. Government opportunity solicitation processes & procurement channels (e.g., https://acq.westfields.net/, https://www.diu.mil/work-with-us/open-solicitations, https://sam.gov/, https://www.govwin.com/, etc).
- Previous experience reviewing or writing RFI responses, white papers, & proposals in support of U.S. Government programs.
- A strong understanding of remote sensing & commercial satellite systems is highly desired.
Perks & Total Rewards While Fellowing or Interning at Planet:
- Office & WiFi Reimbursements
- Flex Fridays (once a month)
- Volunteering Benefits
- Commuter Benefits if you are near HQ
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.