Were one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because were building a better way to get home & our customers love it. By combining smarter technology with an award-winning team of mortgage experts, were making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
So far, weve:
- Helpedmore than 10,000 familiesget home
- Financed over$3Bin loans
- Saved families an average of$32,000in fees over the life of their loans
- Grew our geographic coverage to36states, up from 15 states from a year ago
And were not slowing down. We continue to outpace the rest of the industry at every turn.
Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech & finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank, American Express, & others have invested over $150MM in Better & our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Using a holistic understanding of industry trends & market dynamics, our Corporate Finance team facilitates & drives strategy execution across the organization. We are looking for an Assistant Controller to scale our accounting operations, & help build our growing accounting team. In this role, you'll report directly to our Corporate Controller & work collaboratively with stakeholders across the organization. The ideal candidate has deep technical expertise in many areas of accounting, finance, & operations, such as: automation, tax regulations, treasury, corporate governance, internal controls, & reporting.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with the development & scaling of the global accounting team.
- Implementing & maintaining appropriate processes to enable accurate & timely financial reporting.
- Ownership of the month-end close process & related complexities.
- Maintaining internal guidelines, policies & procedures to assure proper financial controls are in place.
- Contributing to the timely & accurate preparation of consolidated financial statement packages for our investors & Board of Directors.
- Working closely with FP&A on maintaining highly detailed chart of accounts for management reporting needs.
- Liaising between external audit partners & internal financial operations & control partners.
- Supporting compliance reporting for state, federal & foreign regulatory requirements & professional standards.
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including 3+ years in an industry accounting role for a venture-backed company.
- Knowledge of internal controls, internal & external reporting, audit processes, & tax.
- Strong preference for: operational & technical accounting background, IPO experience, SOX compliance experience.
- High degree of intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels.
- Strong attention to detail & ability to meet hard deadlines.
- CPA preferred
Things we value:
- Curiosity.Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness.Financial news & trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness.No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion.If you dont get excited about homeownership, mortgages, & real estate, it simply wont work.
- Smarts: book & street.We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy & Compassion.You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication.Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you dont understand?
- Building.Doing. Making.Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking & talking to figure this stuff out, but you cant wait to leave the conversation & build it.