Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
- During your internship you will conduct research in the context of one of the most advanced, production-quality, wide-area distributed relational databases, with a modern open-source code base.
- You will invent, prototype & integrate new ideas & technologies that will help define the future of our products & at the same time advance state-of-the-art, ideally resulting in top-tier publications. You will work closely with an engineering / research mentor & other members of the team to achieve these goals.
- Areas of research include, but are not limited to, storage & LSM technologies, query optimization, distributed systems topics (transaction management, concurrency, distribution & replication, allocation), testing, multi-region, SQL execution, serverless technologies, & cloud infrastructure
- You will become an integrated member of our engineering team. You will work on a starter project that allows you to gain confidence in navigating the code base & gain familiarity with our engineering environment, our technology & our company.
- You will work closely with your mentor & team on a project that aligns with your interests & the product roadmap. You will design, prototype, run experiments & analyze data to demonstrate advantages & gain valuable insights on tradeoffs & challenges. You will present your results, and, time permitting, work with your mentor to make the results broadly available to the open source and/or academic community.
- You are enrolled in a Ph.D program related to databases, distributed systems, serverless or other cloud related technologies, graduating between December 2022 & May 2025.
- You have had exposure to coursework on subjects like distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- You love building relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- You are genuinely interested in Cockroach Labs' mission & are excited to use CockroachDB in your projects!
- Bonus: you have past experience working on production-level or open source code.
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.