BuzzFeed is looking for a full-time, approximately 40 hours per week, project-based Copy Editor to work with our Branded & Editorial content teams in our New York City office, with the possibility of becoming a full-time salaried hire.
We seek a self-professed word nerd with a comprehensive knowledge of, & passion for, grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, & all-around proper use of the English language. Reporting to the head of Copy & Research, you will manage copyediting content in all forms, including posts, video, & social copy.
You have solid copyediting, fact-checking, & you know how to edit for accuracy & consistency without losing tone or voice. Are you incensed by the misuse of homophones? Can you spot a typo with your eyes half-closed? Are you simply going to lose it the next time someone uses a hyphen instead of an em dash? (You get the picture.)
You may be asked to complete a copy test before being interviewed.
- Copyedit BuzzFeed posts & videos for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, & consistency
- Help with occasional fact-checking
- Work with writers, editors, & account managers
- Show awareness of brand tone, flagging any copy for sensitivity issues or misalignment with client demographics
- At least 23 years experience copyediting for a website or magazine
- Familiarity with the AP style guide (bonus points for familiarity with the BuzzFeed Style Guide!)
- Solid collaboration skills
- The ability to work at a fast pace
- The ability to adapt to new writing styles & formats
- Familiarity with British English (a plus!)
- A positive, curious, playful disposition
- Your rsum
- A cover letter that explains why you'd be perfect for the job
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within & across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.