ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news & makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. theSkimms product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'' & Skimmd From the Couch, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. theSkimms first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the lifes necessity categories & expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- & the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
The design team at theSkimm consists of ambitious, collaborative, & thoughtful designers, who work closely on all things related to theSkimm brand. We feel passionate & excited about designing products that millions of people touch on a daily basis. This role is a key member of the team, working directly with the brand strategy & creative team on campaigns. The ideal candidate has a sophisticated aesthetic, experience in presentation design (ideally at a progressive creative agency) & is comfortable working at a fast pace under short lead deadlines. You will be working with several areas of design such as typography, iconography, color, space & texture. You will use your knowledge, expertise & skills in all these fields to assist our sales team in creating visually engaging sales materials & mocks for brand partners.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Working in collaboration with our sales, brand strategy, & creative team to turn stories & ideas into powerful & beautiful dynamic visual keynote presentations & brand collateral.
- Come up with new, creative ways for the sales team to pitch ideas to clients, evolving existing templates & concepting new ones.
- Mocking up campaign & tentpole web experiences
- Collaborating with Sales on RFP & category decks.
- Concepting & designing creative for campaigns cross-functionally across the organization
- Innovate with the design team on evolving our visual language & brand.
- Maintain knowledge of design trends & techniques, while continuing to develop skills.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3+ years of design experience, preferably at a progressive creative agency
- BFA degree is preferred
- Expert knowledge & experience with Keynote
- Presentation Design-focused experience, preferably within an agency environment
- Proficient in Adobe Suite: Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop
- Data & information design experience
- A sound design aesthetic with a solid understanding of typography & composition, & grids.
- An understanding of theSkimm's unique brand aesthetic & mission.
- The ability to refine other peoples ideas & come up with new ones to create a highly designed visual experience
- Can work collaboratively with a team, independently & under close direction
- Self-learning, able to learn new tools quickly & work in a fast evolving environment
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Passion for theSkimm's brand & products
- A strong understanding of our target demo since you read theSkimm every day.
Please include a link to an online or PDF portfolio with your application.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.