Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As our third ever Accounting hire, you will be playing a key role in continuing to define, improve, & scale Codecademys transactional accounting & financial reporting processes. You will make an impact & ultimately help the company to achieve its finance goals by automating / streamlining processes, evolving processes, & improving internal controls.
We are seeking an eager, curious, & passionate accounting professional that demonstrates critical thinking skills & is always looking for ways to innovate through better, more efficient ways to complete your own & your teams tasks.
What youll do:
- Build & improve on multiple accounting processes. With your input & impact, we will shorten the month-end close by 25%, elevate our financial reporting, & improve internal controls
- Take ownership of critical day to day accounting operations & month-end close procedures. This role will be initially responsible for accounts payable, fixed assets, payroll, credit card payable, employee expense reimbursements, prepaid accounting, & billing / collections, with room to grow into more complex technical accounting in our revenue, equity, & financial reporting processes
- Evaluate accounting processes & procedures for which youre responsible by identifying gaps & improving systems, processes, internal controls & efficiencies
- Act as a business partner to other departments by improving budget transparency, facilitation of vendor payments, reporting requests, etc.
- Support the 2020 financial statement audit by synthesizing auditor feedback & improvements into existing systems & processes
What youll need:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- 3+ years of progressive accounting experience, preferably in the technology industry, with a blend of public & private & strong US GAAP
- Excel whiz
- Demonstrable experience with implementing technology & systems to automate accounting processes. Experience with Quickbooks Online, Bill.com, Justworks, Expensify, or Divvy a plus
- You can stay organized to meet deadlines & expectations & strike a practical balance between urgency & quality
- You're a self-starter who loves wearing different hats & have an enthusiastic spirit that no job is too small or too big
- You like to create things from scratch & can operate within ambiguity, whether individually or in collaboration with others
We want people who are passionate about taking on new challenges & going the extra mile. If this opportunity sounds exciting, tell us why youd like to be our first Staff Accountant in your cover letter!
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.